Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

[Newbie] Integrating ATA Gateway and 2 ATA Phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MikeMelga, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMelga

Hi.

I've been testing 3CX and I'm quite happy with it. I'm using the demo version in my house and I've configured 2 GSM gateways and 3 voip providers with no problem.

But...I am having a lot of doubts with my PSTN setup. I've configured the gateway and I am able to make and receive calls through it but I now want to connect 2 analog phones and I have some questions.

I have:

-1 Linksys SPA-3102 PSTN Gateway
    -1 Regular land line
    -2 Analog Wireless Phones connected to a central station

What I want:

-To be able to make and receive land line calls with 3CX (I already do)
    -To be able to make calls with the analog phones (using 3CX)

Is this possible? Do I need any extra hardware?
    Can I plug the Analog wireless station to the 'phone' plug in the SPA3102?

Another 2 questions:
    -The wireless phones have a special key to call other headsets in the same station. Can I use this in 3CX?
    -How can I connect an analog fax in this setup?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Mike

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Using an analogue Fax machine, over VoIP is hit and miss. All "portions" of the call must support, (and be set-up correctly to support) T.38 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.38 Many have found that, even when it should work, in theory, is can still be hit and miss. You can try it, but if the faxes are expected over the PSTN line, they you may just want to plug the fax machine into the phone line in parallel with the 3102. If you expect faxes over one of your VoIP providers, then they must support T.38, many do not. Some fax machines support working with an answering machine. They have both an in and out phone socket, and are able to listen for a fax, then cut-off anything plugged into the "out" socket. If yours has this feature, you could put the fax machine ahead of the the 3102

3. MikeMelga

leejor,

Thanks for your reply. You say I have to change a number of option in the SPA3102. Can you tell exactly what?
    Are these guides helpfull?
    http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

The above page mentions this: "Note: The Linksys SPA3102 can either be set as a gateway OR as an ATA device. 3CX does not support the device when configured in both modes simultaneously."
    Is it relevant?

Thanks again!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Contrary to what that guide says, it will support being used as a Gateway and an ATA, at the same time. Making sure that the gateway uses the same port as what is put into the trunk setting in 3CX, is one of the keys.

It's been a while since I was in the options. I will go back in today, and give you a list.

Be sure that you start with a "blank slate", a factory reset unit, not one that had been used elsewhere. Get the gateway working properly first, it's usually the most difficult part. The ATA portion is a breeze in comparison.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In the PSTN tab, under PSTN-to_VoIP Gateway setup...PSTN Ring Thru Line 1...Change that to NO

You want incoming calls to go to 3CX, not ring the phone plugged into the FXS port.

Being in Portugal, you may need to do some changes in the International Control "area". You may have to do a search for the optimal settings for Portugal as the 3102 is generally defaulted to settings applicable more to North America. This would also apply to settings for things such as Caller ID and Tone sets.

There can be a lot of settings that have to change if the defaults don't work for your area. This is why i recommend getting the gateway portion working properly first. Use the 3CX phone for windows, run on a separate PC, if necessary, to place calls so that you are not attempting to adjust the settings of both the gateway and the ATA in an attempt to get out all of the bugs.

6. MikeMelga

leejor,

Thanks!
    I will try that.

I have a list of all the Portuguese settings for the 3102 but even then I still have problems with the disconnect tone. It's something I still haven't got right.

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.