Newbie.. Need Help Please.. Caller can not hear me

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lunesta, Apr 11, 2007.

1. lunesta

I am totally new to Voip. I started palying with it today. I installed the server and setup two extensions and register my voip line. I also configured digital receptionist which is working fine.
    Whenever somebody calls me on my extension, it rings ( I am using softphone). I can not hear them and they can not hear me. But if I call somebody or the same number from my extension, then we can hear each other. I behind NAT and I disabled firewals on both computers (server/workstation) to check if thats the problem.
    If somebody help me to resolve this issue please.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum

Please go to the configuration of the softphone extension and then advanced options/show advanced options and tick "Bind to Media Server". Also untick "Supports 'Replaces' header" and try again. Let me know how it works out.

3. lunesta

costas3CX.. I followed your instructions, now call is not transferring to extension at all. I can hear digital reception prompt and when i hit the extension number, it doesnt transfer to the extension number.
    I did another test directed incoming call to extension instead of recep, it rings but when i pick up the extension... same problem can not hear anything on both sides.
    when I am binding my extension to Media server do I need to open some kind of specific ports or not?
    Appreciate for your help.

4. lunesta

can someone help me with this issue. Thanks

5. NigelG

RE: Problems

Hi,

Are the calls between the extensions both internal to your network or external ie: at a remote location? and is the firewall running on the PCs or is it within your router?

Also which softphone are you using for the extensions.

Rgds
    NigelG

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Like NigelG mentioned you have to open some ports if you have a firewall.

In general extension to extension will use ports 7000 - 7300 if you have NOT selected device is exernal. if that is selected the ports 9000 - 9003 are used.

You mentioned that you have no sound, this is related to:
    Codecs, make sure you use G711
    RFC ports these are UDP ports 10000 - 20000 this only plays if you have a fire wall.
    I do not think it is a sip issue as you seem to be able to make a connection.

Hope this helps.
    Henk

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Hi Lunesta,

Can you post the server status logs? Go to the management console > Server status. Clear the log. Then make the inbound call. Post the server status log.

Then make an outbound call, post it again.

Note that the port numbers that will be used are listed in the log after the IP. this will give some indication, possibly those ports are blocked. But if you post server status log i will show you exact port numbers.

8. lunesta

Thanks for the replies.. I will try those suggestions and also look into log to see what is going on.

Appreciate for your help

9. John2007

During my testing I meet almost all these problems. From my experience, they link to firewall setting. You also need to take care if you have external extensions.

My suggestion is, if you can do it, trun off firewall and forwared all ports to the 3cx machine and do the test. If everything works, then apply firewall rules until you have problem. Also give enough ports for 3cx, the default extnernal ports number only 4, which may not enough for external extensions.

For 3cx group, could you consider add the function that when config a external line, I want to specify an IP address instead of using stun server. ( maybe it is already there, I am not sure)