Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Newbie & Polycom 501

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by krissheresteboff, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krissheresteboff

Hello;

I would greatly appreciate some help in learning 3CX. Presently I have purchased 3 Polycom 501 Phones from
    a company that closed. They were using a Hosted PBX System, however I am wanting to use 3CX for my home.

I have been able to successfully have my Softphones work with out problem (Including 3CX with my Android Phone)
    However with the Polycom phones I haven't had much luck. I have tried Provisining the Phones following stepbystep
    on video tutorials and through what I can find on the fourm but not having much luck.

The phones are still loading information from the Hosted PBX Server and I can't seem to bypass it.

If anyone can offer some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks
    Kris

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

The first place to start is to simply Factory reset the phone, once you have completed that follow our step by step guide to seting up the phones, or provision them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. krissheresteboff

Thanks for the Information...

4. discovery1

discovery1 Member

We had the same situation and a factory reset and firmware upgrade to the version supported by 3CX is the best method to clear out any old settings and functions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. krissheresteboff

Hi.
    So I have tried many numerous way on formatting back to the factory settings - All unsuccessfull.

Right now I have a FTP Server setup, and I have the Phone going to the IP address with
    Port 21

So example: 192.168.xxxx with a user ID and password,
    the phone doesn't seem to be getting to that folder.

Can someone please give me a step by step on how to get the phone factory reset
    and to load the firmware on to the phone... Or point me to a place where
    I can find the info...

Thanks

6. discovery1

discovery1 Member

http://knowledgebase.polycom.com/knowledgebase/End%20User/Tech%20Alerts/Audio/SoundPointIP_Resetting_Log_Files_QT18298.pdf

Page 5 for the IP 501

7. krissheresteboff

Hi,

yes that is all that I have done... however I can not get it to load the firmware from my FTP server...

Kris

8. discovery1

discovery1 Member

I find that TFTP is much easier to use. I prefer the solarwinds free tftp server.

You will also need to set an option 66 on your DHCP server to allow them to auto provision in 3CX

This is the best link to an exact method for updating firmware on the IP 501 i can find

http://blog.voipsupply.com/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-polycom-unit

Note that the firmware is a FREE download now from the Polycom website.

9. krissheresteboff

Hi!
    Thanks so much for the info - I followed the instructions exactly to the point, however it's still not
    working - I have the phone constantly rebooting stated that it can not find the ##MacAddress.cfg## file
    and reboots...

Any suggestions?
    Sorry to sound like a pain in the arse...

10. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Have you extracted all the files from the zip files into the tftp root?

I used the flowing zip files from the polycom site

spip_ssip_vvx_3_1_3RevC_release_sig_combined.zip
    spip_ssip_BootROM_4_1_2_release_sig.zip
    spip_ssip_3_0_4_release_sig.zip

Unzip the contents of all the zip files into the tftp root and try again.

there should be a 0000000000000.cfg file that works for all phones.

If it is trying to provision via 3CX you need the paid version from memory.
    If you are using DHCP options follow the details here

http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/DHCP-option-66.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.