Newbie Set up Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jimmyn, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jimmyn

I want to set up a system which gives me at least 2 phone lines, I want to keep my original PSTN line and also have another number to dial in on. When I'm on the phone I want to be able to see the other other line caller ID as well. Also it would be good if I could transfer the call between the lines. So if I was on Line 1 and I wanted to connect the person on line 2 with line 1. Can I do this with 3CX? Am I right in saying I could do this with a Linksys SPA942, an ATA adapter and the right VOIP Provider?

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes you can, but you have to use call assistant I think.

Not sure if your phone can handle 2 lines without additional license.

Here is how you can try:

Line 1 call comes in you pick it up and talk (bla bla bla).

Line 2 call comes in and you can see in Call Assistant that a call is comming in and what the CLID is. Than put call 1 on hold (using your phone) and use extension pick up to answer the call on line 2.

I have not tested this but have a go at it. There might be other solutions.

3. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Shouldn't be a problem. The 942s can handle 4 lines and will show you the caller id of any call coming into the system.

If you want the 942 to have multiple extensions you can do that BUT with 3CX you can't have other phones using the same extension. No shared extensions (yet).

If one phone has 100 on it, and another phones has 100 on it, the last phone to register will be the current extension. The other ones just won't do anything - no ringing.

4. Ralph

Ralph Member

Hi Rob

Good morning Rob,

Have you been able to get caller ID to actually show the caller name instead of just the number with 3CX?

Take care

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

No I haven't but I haven't tried either. I'll contact my VoIP providor and see what they say as well.

I'll try wireshark and see if I'm getting that info passed along too. Might help track down everything.

6. VictorN

Hi,

Yes it is possible with an ATA and regular telephone .

I have a Linksys ATA PAP-2 and Panasonic KX-TS208LXW (regular phone with 2 lines) I can answer someone on Line 1 and place the call on hold (in the phone) and answer line 2 (a VOIP line)

Victor

7. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Rob,

Have you gotten a packet capture yet to see if Vitelity is passing along the callerid info. I know the they have a seperate CNAM service fee of .009 per call, but I think that is to send outbound, but I could be wrong.

8. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I did some packet capturing last night on my system. I didn't see any caller id names coming in from nexVortex. Only the phone #. I'm going to check with them and see if they are even sending that info.

I'll keep you posted. Anyone else getting names sent from the ITSP?