• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Newbie to 3cx

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodwilsonsr

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...in my quest for a pbx, I have come across 3cx and at first look, this seems fantastic. I'm an IT consultant and I am looking to change over to something more professional and this seems to be it.
I know very little about pbx's so I am wondering if I can get a couple intro question answered.
Right now I have Comcast business internet and I signed up for Comcast business phones. I have seperate lines and each line has call waiting. I have there cable modem/phone convertor Arris box in my basement.
Is it possible to utilize 3cx with a voip gateway in this scenerio?
Thanks
Rod

hello,

what type of line have you ?

it's possible to add gateway for analog line and digital line.

have good day

I believe the comcast box converts the coax from comcast to analog. I purchased a couple regular analog handsets that I use with the 2 comcast lines. So it appears I would have to keep the comcast coax to analog box and then put in a voip gateway??
Thanks
Rod

rodwilsonsr said:
I believe the comcast box converts the coax from comcast to analog. I purchased a couple regular analog handsets that I use with the 2 comcast lines. So it appears I would have to keep the comcast coax to analog box and then put in a voip gateway??
Thanks
Rod

hm ok it's special connexion. i don't know if it's work, i suggest that you rename your post like this Comcast connexion, to see if some user have test a adapted gateway or just simple gateway like patton.

If you have a regular analog line, you can use a gateway to convert that back into a VOIP line for the 3CX. I would certainly test it (or maybe your provider even support connecting using SIP instead of through the Arris box). Though I strongly suggest testing it out. A gateway isn't necessarily expensive; you could try a Linksys SPA-3102, which is supported by 3CX and a configuration guide can be found here http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

ATA's can only be used to hook up analog phones to IP PBXs, it provides FXS port(s).
PSTN gateways are used to bring analog or ISDN lines into IP PBXs, it provides FXO port(s)
The Linksys SPA3102 is both an ATA and a PSTN gateway. It has 1 FXS and 1 FXO port.
There are other gateways like patton 4110 providing more FXO and FXS ports in one device.

Maybe your cable provider can give you SIP access to your phone lines instead of terminating them in the cable modem.
Unfortunately my provider doesn't do that. They say they're using VOC standard instead of VOIP.... So I have to use gateways to transform to VOIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mendy E
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.