Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by richardwholt, Aug 8, 2007.

1. richardwholt

Hi. First of all thanks for producing such a great product.
    I have been using it for some time now with 3 GXP2000 Phones, sipgate and voiptalk.

I have been blown away by both the quality of calls and the reliability of the entire set-up.

I have only one suggestion that if present in the system would make it a lot more useable for companies and home users alike:

If there was the ability to create an outbound rule that specifies "If the dialled number has only 7 digits then append it with 01x1 or 01xx2, etc" then the system could work like a locally geographised phone such as a landline provided by BT.

This seems like such a simple feature to implement to me and I'm shocked that it hasn't been implemented already in such a great phone system.

2. richardwholt

Just spotted the Suggestions forum and have posted in there, sorry if this was posted in the wrong section. :D

3. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

The outbound rule setting like this
    ---------------------------------------
    Calls to Numbers starting with: 7

Transform mask: 01xx2r

4. nickybrg

nickybrg Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Richard you mean that calls which have 7digits (irrelevant of what the prefix is) not calls starting with 7. Correct? However I still didnt completely understand this part :

"then append it with 01x1 or 01xx2, etc"
    What are you trying to achieve exactly? Can you give a concrete example of the number you intend to dial and where you would like it to be transfered giving meaning o1x1.
    Thanks

5. richardwholt

Sorry Mate. Should have made it more clear.

What I mean is if you type a phone number in that is only 7 digits long then append it with this "STD code"

So if I Set the rule to append with STD of 0151 and dial 2361111, the phone system will translate the dialed number into 01512361111

If I dial a number with more or less than 7 characters, the rule will not apply so I can still dial other STD codes.

6. Cjay

Cjay New Member

Richard,
    I use 3cx in a home environment and calls from IP phones and cordless (Siemens S450IP) all route through 3cx [the missus doesn't know this so that must be a recommendation!]

Your question potentially breaks down into 2 parts:
    1) Programming of IP phones to dial immediately once a valid digit string is entered. For example on my Linksysy SPA941 it is possible to do quite extensive digit analysis to determine when a valid dial string has been entered and then to pass on the digits via SIP to 3cx. In my case I just find it easier to dial # after the number to force the call.
    2) Setting appropriate outbound rules in 3cx to manage UK format numbers. In my case I have 2 outgoing routes from 3cx: VoIP via VoipDiscount and analogue PSTN line [BT] using a SPA3102. For some of the calls routed via BT I use call18866.

My outbound rules break down as follows:
    Name / Number Prefix / Mask / Make Calls On
    BT Special / 91 / r / BT
    Local Calls / 2-8 / 01245 / VoIP
    Mobiles / 07 / 18866 / BT
    08xx services / 08 / / BT
    Catch all / 0 / / VoIP

So working down the rules, if:
    I want to dial any special UK landline numbers (e.g. clock = 123) I dial 91123
    Local calls (which start with digits 2 to 8 ) have my local STD code added and then go out via VoIP
    Mobiles starting 07 go out via 18866 on my BT line
    08xx services go on BT directly
    And finally, anything starting with a 0 (full STD code, international etc.) go via VoIP.

Works for me and no complaints from management!!

HTH,
    Cjay.