No answer on incoming calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dcoxjr, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcoxjr

I am unable to get 3CX to answer incoming PSTN calls. Outbound calls are working. When someone tries to call in it just rings on their end.

I'm running version 10 with a Patton SN4114.

2. mixig

mixig Active Member

Can you check server activity log on 3cx or wireshark? Is that calls even coming to the 3cx?

3. dcoxjr

The server log doesn't show anything for incoming calls. When I try to call in nothing gets added to the log.

4. mixig

mixig Active Member

Did you use 3cx template for 4114? You can check on patton what is going on, telnet to patton, login, then execute "enable", after that you can use this debugging commands:

debug context sip-gateway transport
    debug call-control
    debug call-router
    debug media-gateway all

for stop debug commands : no debug all

5. dcoxjr

Thanks for helping me out here.

I have no idea what you just had me do but it fixed the problem. Incoming calls are now being answered correctly.

Thank you!!

6. dcoxjr

I thought it was fixed, but it's not entirely. It's hit and miss. Sometimes it answers and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't answer nothing appears in the server log.

I've reimported the config file into the Patton device and restarted it several times, but it just doesn't work. Outgoing calls through the same device work fine.

7. dcoxjr

This is driving me crazy. I purchased a 3CX licence and would like to be able to use it.

If I telnet into the gateway and run some debug commands it works every time. Kinda seems like I have to wake it up or its on its best behaviour when I'm watching.

I really need to get to the bottom of this!!

8. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, in what country are you located and was there an associated listing in the template to set to the same country? I take it that you are using a true, standard PSTN provider for your POTS line service? How many lines and have you tried to dial in on all and if so, is there any difference in how the device reacts.

I am wondering if the Patton device is set correctly for the nuances that may be associated to your PSTN provider's lines. Given that the device seems to work intermittently, this does not seem to be a 3CX issue, but rather a Patton issue possibly associated to the configuration and how it "sees" (or doesn't) your phone lines.

9. dcoxjr

We are in the Cayman Islands. I'm not sure what template you're referring to. The only place I've noticed a country listing was in the 3CX Advanced settings for e164 number processing. Cayman is listed there.

We are using the local telco for our POTS lines. We have 3 lines with one number so I can't ring each individual line.

10. lneblett

I see you are running v10 so there may be some differences as I am running V11.

In any event, not all telephone (carriers) systems are alike. They may use different tone sets, voltages and/or other functional variations that make them unique and subequently may require some settings to be adjusted to make connected equipment (fully)compatible.

In version 11, 3CX has provided a set of templates by which various devices can be configured thereby eliminating some of the pain and guesswork with a wholly manual approach. In the 4114 template they have a listing of countries which can be selected making the device more readily usable. Unfortunately, the Caymans are not one of the listings and I am not familiar with their system to know if it is indeed unique or is the same as one of those listed. Fundamentally, it sounds like the device is not detecting ring and then answering the call. I am guessing a setting refinement is needed.

My suggestion at this point is to call Patton directly and get their take on the situation. While I have not personally had to use their support, others on the forum have reported that they are very good.

11. dcoxjr

I actually upgraded to v11 yesterday. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

What you're saying sounds perfectly reasonable. I've got a call in to Patton right now, but I am curious...I've never seen a country listing in regard to the PSTN Gateway in 3CX. I'd be willing to try different countries. Where are you seeing this setting?

12. lneblett

Go to the tabs for your gateway, then do an add and select accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.