No Audio on Internal Calls

Discussion in 'iOS' started by derekvw91, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derekvw91

Device Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Phone Model: iPhone
    Generation: 6S
    Firmware Version: 9.3.2
    Jailbreak: No

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Handset: Phone
    Contacts: [Local]
    Connection: [WiFi]
    Server: [Internal]

I'm trying to test out using my iPhone instead of my desk phone at work. I'm able to call out to an external number or have an external number call me and have no problems. The issue I have is that whenever I make a call to another extension, I can't hear them nor can they hear me. When another extension places me on hold, I can hear the on hold music.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My first suspicion would be a Codec issue. Are the other extensions restricted as to which Codecs they can use?

You could try setting the extension to "PBX delivers audio", to allow 3CX to transcode, as a test.

3. derekvw91

You were right...having 3cx deliver the audio fixed the issue.

Is this a permanent solution though?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It probably won't make much of a difference if you are only changing the setting for an extension or two, but could affect the PBX load if a lot of calls had to pass through it rather than go direct from extension to extension.
    Have a look at how the other extensions are provisioned. Is there some reason that Codec selection may have been limited? Are you trying to force the sets to use an HD Codec by preventing them from using one of the Codecs available to the iPhone?

5. derekvw91

Most of our phones are Yealink T46G. The codec priority for those extensions is G711u, G711a, G722.

I have G722 as the first codec in my 3CXPhone app.

Shouldn't they natively talk to each other?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In theory, yes. As long as the same codecs are listed an available for use in each phone, and no restrictions (only use ...), then the originating phone (which "suggests which codec to use), should find the corresponding codec in the list at the other end.

There may be some other reason why the G.722 codec can't be used. I would try re-arranging the codec order in the 3CX app (try G.711 at he top) to see if that makes a difference, for the time being. Then do some testing to find out which end is actually having the issue.

7. derekvw91

The only codecs I have listed on 3cxPhone are: G722, GSM, PCMU, PCMA, Speex, iLBC.

If I make a call between softphones, it works just fine.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the deskphones are set to use G.711 (PCMX) codecs as first choice, then why not set the 3CX phone to the same order? You simply hold you finger on each and drag them into the order you want.

9. derekvw91

It doesn't matter what the order is of the codecs. In any configuration on internal calls, I can't hear the other end and they can't hear me.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

What I would do is to set it for PBX delivers audio, so a call actually works. place tow calls, one each way, then check the log in verbose mode. If I remember correctly, it should show which Codecs were used by each device. You could change the order, or remove/add codecs in the devices and see if it makes any difference.

I'm going to guess that it is a setting in the Yealinks. Have you been able to try with any other make desksets?

11. derekvw91

We also use some Cisco SPA phones, and they're experiencing the same issue as well when making a call to the 3cx iphone client.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is your iPhone the only one having the problem? Have you tried other iPhones? What about Android clients, have you tried any of those?

13. derekvw91

We don't have any staff with Android phones, but I've tried it on 3, iPhone 6s and all exhibit the same issue.

14. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Not using an iPhone myself, I'm not familiar with any option differences that there may be when compared to the Android version. I was hoping that by now, someone else , possibly from 3CX, would have offered up some ideas. Since you have confirmed that it works when using the PBX delivers audio option (transcoding required), it kind of points to a Codec issue. If you place a call, with that enabled, then check the 3CX logs in Verbose mode, it should show which codecs were being used by either end. That may help in determining what's going on.

15. Christine Trump

Ive had a similar situation to this one, i gave my phone to my friend and he just fixed it... How i have NO clue what so ever... It is an annoying thing not to have ANY audio at all with internal calls.. very frustrating for me when it was happening, but thank god for my friend fixing it. I'll ask him how he did it unless you have already solved the problem.

16. mholman

I have the exact same issue and changing it to "PBX Delivers Audio" for the two extensions/phones that were experiencing the problem has resolved it, but this is more of a workaround and not a solution. I have compared settings with other extensions and they are identical. Each are using the same codecs and order of codecs. Has anyone determined the cause of this?

17. derekvw91

I'm still having this issue. If anyone has any insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.