Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

No Audio On Vm When Ringing Externally Or Between 3CX Sites

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Wendelspanswick, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendelspanswick

Wendelspanswick New Member

Hi All
    We are slowly migrating our customers PBX's from traditional systems to the 3CX retaining the original ISDN30/ISDN2 lines by utilizing Patton gateways.
    One problem that has cropped up is when calling from a 3CX equipped site to another 3CX equipped site if the call goes to Voice Mail there is either no audio or you might get the last 3 seconds of audio.
    This problem with the VM also happens if you call another extension in the same building by dialing its external number.
    If you dial from a mobile, a non 3CX equipped site or dial internally the audio on the VM is perfect.
    Any pointers to a solution?
    Cheers
    John

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This only affects voicemail, or also calls? Are there any error messages in the 3CX server logs?

What is the common denominator here, what is the routing for the affected calls? Could this be a CODEC issue?

3. Wendelspanswick

It affects all calls that route through the Patton Gateways on to the ISDN30 (PRI) lines and ISDN2 (BRI) lines but only
    when the call is originated and terminated by the 3CX.

I can recreate the fault by dialing out and back in on the ISDN network and when the call hits the VM it records but there is no audio, even when you use the option to review the message you are leaving the playback is silent!

Codec is what I am thinking but not sure where I should be looking?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

OK, so an audio issue with all calls (not just those terminating on Voicemail), using the gateways then.
    the 3CX Server logs should show an error if it is, in fact, a Codec problem.

Generally 3CX has a default to use a number of "standard" Codecs. This would suggest that it may be a "limitation" that is set in the gateway(s). If only one Codec type is allowed to be used, and 3CX can't "comply" then no audio path can be established. Be sure that the gateways, in particular are set to use both the G711 versions. there may be other, and it won't hurt to put them in the list, but the 711's should be first as they give the best quality when bandwidth isn't an issue.
    Not being that familiar with the settings on Pattons , I'm not certain if this is set in a configuration file, or has to be changed manually. If the gateways had been used elsewhere then there may be some settings 'left over" from a previous installation.

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I have seen something very similar once that took me ages to figure out. The exact issue was being caused when:
    - The Calling party was using a Patton device to call out regardless what PBX they are using.
    - The Receiving party is using 3CX Phone System and the call went to Voice Mail, regardless if the call come in through a Patton or VoIP Provider.

As strange as it may sound, the issue was the 'beep' sound generated by the 3CX Phone System that caused the Patton device on the Callers side to go into peculiar 'receive-audio-only' mode that resulted in ~9 seconds of silence at the beginning of Voice Mails.

The solution basically was to change the 'beep' file:
    1) Download the attached file, it contains 2 alternative 'beep' files I made.
    2) Go to folder C:\Program Files\3CX Phone System\Instance1\Data\Ivr\Media\ (assuming V14 and default installation path) and replace existing 'beep.wav' file with one of those in the ZIP file.
    3) Restart all 3CX Services.

Attached Files:

6. Wendelspanswick

That sounds like it could be it!
    I will run some tests later and get back to you.
    Thank you.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.