• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

No audio when calling extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyfish

Reaction score
Hello,

All of our Yealink phones are configured as external extensions using STUN. External inbound and outbound calls work just fine. But when calling other extensions, there is no audio. What am I missing? The Yealink T46G and T48G have the latest firmware installed.

Shawn

I'm assuming that these remote extensions are behind the same router?

A few things...check the extension options so that PBX delivers audio, is checked (that might make a difference).

Be sure that each set is assigned a different port number, you don't want them all set to use 5060.

Some routers do not deal well with getting the required audio pots to the proper device, it just might be your router.

If you have a lot of extensions, and I mean more than just a couple, then you should probably be using the 3CX SBC to handle traffic.

http://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

Hi Leejor,

Yes, the phones are configured as remote extensions behind the same router. They are auto provisioned, and using port 5060 for STUN by default. So you're suggesting to manually assign different port for each phone? What's wrong for using the same port? Thanks.

Shawn

saltyfish said:
They are auto provisioned, and using port 5060 for STUN by default. So you're suggesting to manually assign different port for each phone? What's wrong for using the same port? Thanks.

Using STUN isn't as necessary as it used to be with past versions of 3CX, but it shouldn't hurt either. However, if you have multiple extensions behind a remote router, and all are set to use the same local port, say 5060, that means, from the outside, every set will appear to be the same (public IP):5060. While this may not be the cause of your particular issue, it can cause problems. This is something that , in the past, the 3CX Proxy Manager, and now the 3CX SBC was designed for.

Thanks Leejor,

Is there a specific port range required for STUN? We have about 25 Yealink phones, do you think it would be ok without SBC? We're trying to avoid additional hardware.

BTW enabling PBX Delivers Audio has fixed the issue when calling extensions.

Shawn

saltyfish said:
Is there a specific port range required for STUN? We have about 25 Yealink phones, do you think it would be ok without SBC? We're trying to avoid additional hardware.

BTW enabling PBX Delivers Audio has fixed the issue when calling extensions.

I though that the PBX Delivers Audio might fix the problem, the issue now, however, is that all conversations are now going back through the PBX. With just a couple of extensions, that can be acceptable. With 25 sets, it is much more beneficial (bandwidth wise, audio quality) to have the audio packets remain within the local LAN for internal calls, correct?

With the number of sets you are using, it is beneficial to be using the 3CX SBC (Raspberry Pi, or Windows version).

If you want to assign unique ports to each set, the only requirement is that they don't conflict with something else on your network. I would just go with 5060 to 5085, skipping over any that have been assigned "other functions". The ports could all remain 5060 if the SBC was deployed.

Thanks!!! That's really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.