Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

No external sound

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by zebrafilm, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zebrafilm

Although it has been mentioned before I could not find the solution yet, please help me with the following:

Running Win2008R2 server, one card connected to the internet with IP and domain name, one card connected to internal network.
    Firewall and NAT/Routing is done on the server.
    Internally everything works fine.
    I have it connected to some VOIP providers and analogue systems, those work fine too.
    When I connect an external phone, 3CX softphone/ 3CX iphone app to the server it registers fine and quick.
    It can call an extension and the person on the internal network can hear the external one but not reverse. External caller does not hear local.

I have run the firewall checker, everything fine.
    IN the settings I have SIP port 5060 and reserved for external calls 9000-9004 (only two people using one line)
    I left the STUN servers at stun3.3cx.com / stun2.3cx.com port 3478
    IN the firewall I opened all ports, set the router to forward all ports to the server.
    VOIP 5060 TCp and UDP forwarded, 9000-9004 UDP forwarded all open on firewall, incl STUN ports etc.

I am out of options....
    Suggestions welcome!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As you hear audio at the 3CX end i suspect it is an issue at the remote end. Be sure that STUN is enabled on the remote device (I assume the remote phone is behind a router). Be sure the set doesn't share a port number with another device on the same network. Check the router at the remote end to see if port forwarding has been set up that is sending the voice packets to another IP address. There is a possibility that it is a router that doesn't "play well" with VoIP at the far end, sometimes that can be corrected with a change of settings.

3. zebrafilm

Right that could be very well the case but it would be nice if it could work. I travel a lot and I am using the softphone and the iPhone app to connect to my home system.
    Meaning I am depending on hotel wifi systems most of the time.
    I don't think those apps are designed to sit still behind a desk :)

On the iPhone I have tried with and without stun server but it did not make any difference in registering time or connections.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've been using a "remote" phone when travelling for about six years. A number of years before i began using 3CX. I've used a number of WiFi phones and ATA's, both through a Wifi adapter and hard wired. In all cases, if behind a router, I've used STUN. It is rare, but does happen, that i either can't call, or there is one way audio. In some cases, i have been able to get around whatever the issue is by using the 3CX softphone, on a netbook, in tunnel mode.

There will alwaysbe some routers that you won't be able to call through. This is because the owner or ISP is deliberately blocking VoIP , ,forwarding ports that you need to use, is already using a VoIP application that prevents yours from working, or there is a conflict in port numbers, the 5060 port. I always use a port like 5068 or something higher to try avoid conflicts.

If you have no access to the router, and it doesn't work, there isn't much you can do.

Ninety percent of the time a remote extension will work, but, there are cases, where you will be out of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.