No Name in Caller ID incoming calls.

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by densecnews, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. densecnews

Hello everyone...
    I have a 3CX v10 and Obi110 as a gateway; I have the Obi110 that receive the call from analog line and transfer it to 3cx.
    When an extension rings, it show the caller id but the name is the name of the user in 3CX, how can I show the caller ID name, for example, my cellphone said WIRELESSCALLER but when it rings on 3CX extension show the user's name extension not the caller ID name, it show the calling number but not the name.

Any suggestion?

Have a nice day.

2. netswork

netswork Active Member

It is showing the name of the extension as configured in 3cx?

so if extension 1000 is bob
    and extension 1001 is tom...if the inbound call rings bob's extension it shows "bob" and 1001 shows "tom"?

Also you have to enable caller ID Name on some analog lines seperate from callerID number.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bamit

Caller ID Name and Number problem.

I have a similar problem. I've looked everywhere and have seen quite a few people with a similar situation, with many fixes for them, but after trying ALL of them, I cannot find a resolution to my particular problem.

Here is my setup:

3CX v10 SP6 Build 24018
    Phone/Gateway Linksys SPA-3102 Version:5.2.13(GW002)
    Analog Line on Virtual Port # 10001
    Internal Extension # 200

Verbose Log Shows that I am getting all CID Name and Number information

INVITE sip:10001@10.11.0.231 SIP/2.0
    Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.11.0.230:5061;branch=z9hG4bK-634aefa9
    Max-Forwards: 70
    To: <sip:10001@10.11.0.231>
    // Note: CID Name and then Number logged here
    From: FLORIDA CALL <sip:352346XXXX@10.11.0.231>;tag=d1adbb5c737f7c9o1
    Call-ID: 965d2b25-8dd46f19@10.11.0.230
    CSeq: 101 INVITE
    Expires: 240
    Allow: ACK, BYE, CANCEL, INFO, INVITE, NOTIFY, OPTIONS, REFER
    Content-Type: application/sdp
    Supported: x-sipura, replaces
    User-Agent: Linksys/SPA3102-5.2.13(GW002)
    Content-Length: 446
    Remote-Party-ID: FLORIDA CALL <sip:352346XXXX@10.11.0.231>;screen=yes;party=calling

Everything works great, it even shows the number in the call reports log and on the display of the analog phone, and on the 3CX Soft phone display. What does not get recorded or displayed anywhere is the Caller ID name.

I am sure I have missed something simple, but for the life of me, I just can’t find it.

Thanks, and any thoughts or additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

did you look at the setup of the incoming trunk/line to see if the settings are correct for the information the line is sending ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Similar but not quite, as the original post was dealing with a device that was fairly new (and still not officially supported) at the time, and they didn't provider any 3CX logs to see if the name was actually being passed on to 3CX.

So...you are expecting to see the words "FLORIDA CALL" on the set and you see, what, as the name, anything?

How are you routing your incoming calls? To a ring group, queue, single set, Auto attendant?

6. Bamit

Wow! That was a fast response! Thanks for your help with this.

Yes, "FLORIDA CALL" in this case is the name displayed with my Cell phone call coming in from the POTS. This would usually display a person's real name if it came in from a normal telephone number.

All calls come in via a single POTS line. Calls get routed into the Linksys SPA3102 via the FXS port. 3CX Phone system picks up the call and then a DID rule looks at the CID. If a DID rule recognizes the CID it then gets routed to my extension (200) which is attached to the FXO port. These DID's are calls that I want to receive immediately.

I have several other DID's which route calls to two other extensions. One extension (800) goes straight to voicemail, and the other (801) goes to an IVR.

I also have a few outbound routes which either go to my local POTS or a VoIP service for long distance calls.

ALL of this works great. The only thing I can not figure out is how to get the NAME as well as the CID number logged and displayed.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Strictly speaking, this is not DID (Direct In Dial) as that uses routing based on the number dialled, not the callers number.

I'm wondering if, how you are doing the routing is affecting the name display. I've had name and number display work right off the bat with no options to have to set, and I'm using a number of 3102's. But, I don't do any number screening, only blacklisting and changing the name via the phonebook.

Try this...simply route the incoming trunk to one extension, no caller Id screening. See if that works.

The other thing you might try and see if there is any affect...put one of the callers number, such as your mobile number, into the 3CX phonebook, along with a name. The name you enter will normally override any incoming CID name that 3CX receives from the gateway.

8. Bamit

Sorry, I am new in the PBX world, (only learning for about 3 weeks now..) :cry: I used the term "DID rule" incorrectly. What I should have said is "inbound rule". Under the inbound rules where you select the "Add DID", there is an option where you can create the rule based on the incoming callers ID.

The idea that the rules may be effecting the CID Name is probably not true since when I first set this system up, I did not have any rules or anything special at all. Just a basic setup following the instructions given here:
    http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/- NO LONGER AVAILABLE

All I had was 1 trunk/gateway and one extension (200). Ever since the beginning, as I would test the installation process, I could never get the CID Name to come through, just the CID Number. That is why I believe I have missed something really simple. I am just too inept to figure it out.

Attached Files:

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you were not getting the name display on any devices, from he start, and the name is showing up in the 3CX log, as being sent from the 3102, it comes down to one of three possibilities.

3CX is stripping the name.

The caller ID display of the phone you are using is not capable of displaying a name.

The ATA is set-up incorrectly to allow the name to be displayed.

If you call from one extension to another (assuming that a name has been datafilled against each extension in 3CX), does the name of the caller show up?

10. Bamit

I believe possibility # one may be the case, but I surely do not know how or why this would be.

The display of the phone ( in this case a Panasonic ATA phone) works fine if connected directly to the FXS at the wall. It also can display the extension and name information if I call it from another extension. The 3CX My phone Client shows the CID name of any phone book record, but it too will not display a CID name of a call that is coming in from the outside.

As far as the SPA-3102, I don't know enough about that thing to even speculate. All I know is that so far, it does what the 3CX setup guide said it would. If I go into the Voice, Info, PSTN Line Status section of the 3102, it displays the Last PSTN Caller: FLORIDA CALL, 352346xxxx which coincides with what was logged in the 3CXPhoneSystem.trace.log, not the 3CXPhoneSystem.log or anywhere else.

I'm at a loss for any reason why this would be.

11. Bamit

I've done some more testing and have discovered that the CID Name is getting passed to the 3CX Phone software installed on a PC. In addition, I believe where I was getting confused with the name not displaying on my analog phone, is because (where you mentioned earlier) the name that was listed in the Phone book (which were really short friendly names), were over writing the CID Name coming in on the POTS.

Now that I got all that figured out..... Here is where I still don't know what I am doing wrong. Or maybe it is just not available in 3CX. When I look at the call logs all I see is the CID Number. I was expecting to see the CID Name and Number in the logs and reports. I did a SQ L query against the PostgreSQL database and could not find any table that stored the CID Name. Maybe it is just a limitation in this version of 3CX, or again, I could be missing something.... :mrgreen:

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you do not see the name in the 3CX log then it is not being sent or the 3102 is not set up correctly. Post the PSTN serrings page blanking out anything personal.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you place a call to the 3102, then check the Info page, it will show the last callers number and name (if available). In the 3CX log, for that call, you should also see the same name if it is being sent by the 3102.

14. Bamit

Yes, as I mentioned a few posts up, I do see the information on the 3102's info page, and in the Trace log, but not in the system log, or anywhere else.

Here are the attachments. Hopefully you'll see a simple fix....

Attached Files:

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

When you said you were using the FXS ports on the 3102, I assumed that you had it registered as an extension. I'm wondering why then, under PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Setup, you have PSTN Ring Thru Line 1 set as yes?

I've also found that for caller ID to be reliable (in North America) it requires a PSTN Answer delay of 3 seconds, anything less and you risk cutting off the number.

I've also found that the * in the PSTN Caller ID Pattern to be unnecessary and can cause problems in some cases.

I'm not sure if any f those will make a difference, if, as you say, the 3CX log does show the name being received by 3CX already

. Is this happening with other callers too, or are you just trying this with the one incoming number?

If you have the number programmed in some phones it will only display what name is in the phones internal phonebook. have you tried any other caller ID device to test with?
    As I said previously, you can add any number to the 3CX phonebook along with a name, and it will substitute the name you put in the phonebook, for the name received.

16. Bamit

1) PSTN Ring Thru Line 1 set as yes? Since I am too new to all this, I could not tell you why I have this set to yes. This is what the 3CX instructions told me to do.

2) PSTN Answer delay of 3 seconds: Yes, I have read that in many many places. While experimenting, I have set that number up as high as 10, the only difference it makes is how long it takes for my phone to ring. I have it set for 2 because that allows (for my system anyway) enough time for the Caller ID to get picked up by the SPA-3102 (as shown in the above image), all of my other phones, and I don't have to make the caller wait for more than 2 rings for them to get through.

3) the * in the PSTN Caller ID Pattern: Yes, I have read that too. In fact it is mentioned in the 3CX instructions as a warning to watch out for. I have set this field to blank, and the only thing that happened then was that no caller id information was passed through at all. Not even the number. As a result, I put the * back in.

4) Is this happening with other callers too?: Yes, I get about 20-30 calls a day and it is all the same.

5) have you tried any other caller ID device to test with?: Yes, too many to mention... I have been working on this one and only problem for weeks now.

6) ...3CX phonebook.... will substitute the name....: Yes, I discovered that just recently, when you had mentioned it earlier.

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

18. jwnesbitt

hello, i have a similar issue, so thought best to add to this thread, rather than create a new one

Just set up a clean install of 3CX and upgraded to v11 at the same time, to see if that was maybe my problem, but the issue is still there:

On new server, I have an extension - 222, this is a used by a client who has a mobile Sim card, so he can pick up calls on his mobile when away from the office (effectively, a secondary landline number rings on the mobile)

So, what happens

I call his normal office number, the IVR picks up the call, gives options, when you select the correct option, it diverts to ext 222, if the call is not answered, the extension is set to divert to a landline number. if extension 222 answers, then the incoming phone number is displayed, if i set to divert on "no answer" to another extension, the incoming number shows, but if i divert to another landline or mobile, then it just shows as "private number". At this point, it stops sending the incoming phone number

I tried to use in the IVR to send to number instead of extension, but that does not show as being an option

any help or insight into what I am doing wrong appreciated

Jody

19. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

No, it's best to start your own post.

This has already gone from an Obi issue, to a SPA3102 issue, and now on to something completely different.

20. Bamit

Sorry jwnesbitt, I don't have nearly enough knowledge to help you with that can of worms.

You say; Unless you want the phone plugged into the FXS port to ring without the call passing through 3CX, then this should be NO.

Hmmm. 3CX does intercept the call before it rings. In fact, if a call matches one of the inbound rules that send a caller to VM, the phone never rings. I'll change it to NO and see what happens.

Also, I'll remove the * and raise the delay to 3. I'll let you know how the changes work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.