Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

No Presence on Cellular Data Network - iPhone (v14)

Discussion in 'iOS' started by AlexanderHanna, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexanderHanna

AlexanderHanna New Member

Good Morning All;

I’m using version 14 and have an issue with my Presence information showing when I’m using data (cellular network) when using my iPhone. When I’m on WiFi no matter where I am (coffee shop, etc.) my Presence information is available.

I have seen many posts here regarding this issue, but none addresses my issue (or they are left without resolution). I can tell you that the ports are working because I’m able to get my Presence on my iPhone on WiFi.

I’m using Abyss (ports 5000 & 5001) and I’m using the self-signing cert from installation. I was think it might be an issue where the cellular network was blocking https port 5001. However, when I used my browser on my iPhone using data, I can reach https://FQDN:5001/myphone/MPWebService.asmx. When I get to the page, I have to manually continue because it is not a public cert. Once I continue to proceed to an “unsafe” page, I’m able to reach the MPWebService call page.

I have not installed any certs on my iPhone (no sure if I need one) and I’m beginning to think that when 3CX tries to reach https://FQDN:5001/myphone/MPWebService.asmx, because it stops due to self-signing cert and not a public one, it is somehow not advancing to get the Presence information.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alexander

2. AlexanderHanna

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Off hand, I would suspect that the port is being blocked by either the provider you are using, or something on the phone when using the Mobile data network.

To narrow it down, and perhaps before you run to, and blame the provider, see if you can try it on another iPhone, or even one on another mobile network.

You could try using Wireshark, during a quiet period, to see if there is an attempt to use port 5000/5001, when the set is registered.

4. AlexanderHanna

Thank you for your replay Leejor.

I have now discovered it is happening on both iPhones and Android devices. They simply do not provide presence when on the mobile data network.

When I first started looking at this issue, I was thinking that the provider is blocking port 5001. However, I have my doubts about this because if I use the browser on the mobile device and go to https://FQDN:5001/myphone/MPWebService.asmx, I hit the page (although) with a cert warning. This would indicate that the provider is not blocking the port.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If your phone(s) is/are unlocked, perhaps you could borrow a SIM from someone on another network and see if that change allows Presence to work. What mobile network are you using? Perhaps others, using the same network, have had issues, and have suggestions.

6. AlexanderHanna

Hi Leejor,

I'm in the Bahamas using BTC, which is the only provider (Sad, I know). So to use someone elses SIM will only be roaming, which still goes via BTC network.

I'm going to get a public cert today to see if this could be the issue. What are your thoughts on this? As I mentioned before, I can reach port 5001 on the mobile devices using the browser (although, with warning) to hit the WebService page.

Thanks
    Alexander

7. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Alexander
    In the iOS client, what's displayed on display's top-left corner? what status?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AlexanderHanna

Hi Vali_3CX

It displays "Available" and "On Hook" and I can make and receive calls with no issues.

However, the Status keeps going in and out as if it is still trying to connect every few seconds.

9. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi
    The "Available" status is the clearest hint the MyPhone server has been properly reached/contacted by the iOS client; the subsequent timeout/reconnection is a strong hint about a blocked traffic (not port) problem (timeout is generated by the read/write operations). Since this happen on both devices (Android/iOS) my advice is to ask your ISP about blocked traffic.

I had personally a similar issue several years ago, when developing the 3CXTunnel: tunnel uses a TCP connection; it was working perfectly from any wifi, but not from 3G. The reason was for my SIM card (prepaid one) my ISP (Vodafone) was blocking TCP an all ports, excepting the standard HTTP 80 and HTTPS 443.

Since I'm not a network expert, I suggest you to contact our tech support for much qualified assistance. Also, if you have a friend or somebody you know in a different country, send him an welcome eMail with a test account and ask him to perform the same test from its 3G.

Hope it helps
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. AlexanderHanna

Thank you again for your reply Vali_3CX; I will follow up on your suggestions.

Another question; what are your thoughts on the fact that I can access the 3CX WebService from via the browser on the phone? Would this not indicate that the port is not blocked?

11. AlexanderHanna

Okay, here is where I am:

I backed up and then uninstalled 3CX. Then install 3CX with Abyss to use ports 80 & 443. Then deleted the old account from the iPhone and send a new Welcome email based on the new ports 80 & 443. However, there was no change. I am still not able to get the Presence information using default ports. This is what I had expected because, as I mention previous posts, I can hit the https page using the browser on the cell.

My next check is to purchase an SSL, which I'm thinking because I'm using a self signing, it is being reject.

12. AlexanderHanna

Okay, I'm back with this.

For the last few days I have been doing some more testing with no luck. I have installed a certificate on 3CX with Abyss and I'm able to get to my WebRTC https page without a warning. I have been able to hit the https WebService page from my Safari browser without the warning. I sent a new welcome file to my iPhone and while I was able to get Presence using WiFi (outside and in office), I was not able to get Presence using my mobile data.

I tried on both ports 443/5001 and still nothing. I know that the mobile operator is not blocking port 5001.

Help! Ides Please.

Thanks

13. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Hi Alexander,

I received your PM and setup my iPhone with the config file.

Presence is working fine when using WiFi and mobile data.

Because we have 6 hrs timeshift I will call you when it is 8:00 AM your time.

14. AlexanderHanna

Thank you so much for this Complex1!!!

So Complex1 was able to test for me using my Welcome provisioning file and as he said, was able to see my Presence!

So I'm really down to looking at my mobile provider. I just know that I can't expect to much cooperation from them. Therefore, I'm going to uninstall and then reinstall using Abyss with ports 80/443 and see if this makes a differences.

Additionally, I notice that when my iPhone is on mobile data it produces a new entry under the "3CX Clients" tab with a different IP address as it switches between Available, Not Connected and Connecting for the same extension. This generates many entries as you can see in the image for extension 6917. Is there a clue there?

Attached Files:

15. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Send you a PM.

16. AlexanderHanna

I'm really perplex...

I received a provisioning file from Complex1 to use on my iPhone in order to test against his 3CX system. I was able to get Presence information on WiFi, but not when using my mobile data! This again seem to be pointing to the mobile provider blocking the 5001 port.

Keep in mind that I had previously sent Complex1 a provisioning from my system, where he had no issues using his data provider (in Holland) on his iPhone to show the Presence.

Again, I still don't understand if the port is being blocked, why I can use the browser on my iPhone to access the WebService page (https://3cx.mydomain.com:5001/myphone/MPWebService.asmx).

With that said, I felt that there was one thing left for me to do. I then uninstalled 3CX, then install it again this time setting the ports to 80/443 (standard ports) and then restored from my backup. I got the same results, no Presence on mobile data. If I go with the idea that my mobile provider is blocking port 5001, surly, they can't be blocking standard port 443.

I would love to get any feedback that can assist me in trying to understand this issue.

Thanks,
    Alexander

17. AlexanderHanna

Hi,

I found the MyPhoneServer.log file and I can see where extension 6917 is connecting several times, but it keeps changing the IP address. Any idea why this would be happening? In other words, mu iPhone is reaching the 3CX, but just not holding the connection.

Attached Files:

18. AlexanderHanna

Good Day,

As it stands now, I have made contact with my local mobile operator. They have agreed to take a look at my issue.

What I can say is that I know my issue is not due to blocked ports because I can see the cell phones hitting my 3CX server. The problem is that the provider reissues a new IP address ever few seconds, which causes the 3CX phone not to have a stable connection and thereby Presence, etc. not available.

I'm hoping that they can see why this is happening on their network with the ability to address.

19. roadwings

I have just read this entire post and have very similar symptoms and have done many of the same things that you have, mine have been due to app/network upgrades and 3CX service packs. But yes, 'presence' feature is spotty for us as well on iOS, droid, and Mac. Presence probably works 35% of the possible ways you would expect it to work, sometimes.

But I can make calls 90% of the time. Dial external, vm or extensions with no problem. If I dial an internal extension; the phone book doesn't show who you are calling. I haven't completely diagnosed 14.5 SP3 yet, but initial tests show the same results.

I can help contribute networking know how to fix this issue is you're still working on it or care to share. For us, presence doesn't like to hop multiple wifi access points, work with vpn, cellular and the some times the tunnel. Presence works very well via Windows 3cx app on client pc when wired to switched network. Our network is well designed and built with quality gear.

We have been doing layer 1-3 networking upgrades lately, and I am fairly certain our problem is somewhere related to network protocol, port blocking/mis-configure, no routing, dns, or bad certificates. I'm on a cheap self signed too. Gonna get a new one soon. Can anyone say if wildcard certs work well? Certificate tips? Also, any tips on moving 3cx to a new machine? Is the 3cx license tied to a box, processor, MAC address or simple license? Good stuff to know for disaster recovery.

Can anyone chime in on the tcp/ip Ethernet networking aspect of 3cx? Is presence tcp or udp? Multicast? Reliant on dns/smb/wins/dhcp? Does the stun server have anything to do with it?

I also preferred the networking config of v12, when I could force the network setup. I really don't even want a public facing public fqdn. I think you can setup v14.5 that way but they guilt trip you or really nag and say to not install that way for some reason. Dns tricks possibly? I wish I knew their reasoning or had more information.

20. AlexanderHanna

Hello All,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you with my results. I hate it when someone resolves an issue and does not share their fix.

So after all of my frustration, I was finally able to determine what the issue was. What I saw as mentioned here before was that once connected to my local mobile carrier, they were issuing multiple IPs for my connection around every 5 secs. This prevented 3CX from properly connecting, thereby not having access to Presences, Contacts, etc.

I was able to get my local cattier to look at the issue. Additionally, it was not good for them because we have many 3CX smartphone users creating issues on the network because of the multiple IP addresses that were being issued. It took a while, but they were finally able to address the matter and we are now able to use 3CX properly with our mobile data.

Clients are happy, and so are we!

Many thanks for all those who tried to assisted me with this issue.

Alexander

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.