No prompt on SIP 404

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ft47, Nov 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ft47

Hello,

I have an issue with my 3CX when calling a non existing number. The call is just cancelled without any further information and I have to look it up in admin interface in order to check what went wrong. Call logs look like this:
    Call or Registration to <number_called>@(<sipgate_srv>@SipGate Team (Trunk)) has failed. <sipgate_ip> replied: 404 Not Found; from IP:<sipgate_ip>:5060

I am using SipGate Team.
    Early Media Support is enabled, so is BusyPrompt.

Can anyone point me in a direction what to look for to solve this?

Thank you in advance

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I assume when you say "Busy Prompt" you're referring to the option under Settings --> PBX --> "Play Busy prompt when extension is busy" option.

Try restarting the 3CX services once, if I remember I think that option requires it.

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Your provider is the one that passes the messaging back. It may be in the form of early media, in which case you might hear a recording about the issue, or SIP messaging such as the 404 you received. 3CX can't influence how the message is sent, it only receives and relays what it is given. You may want to do a capture of a call and see what messaging is relayed back to the calling phone. When I dial a number that is not in service, my capture indicates the 404 being sent to the phone and the phone displays the 404 error and also provides a congestion/reorder tone to draw my attention to it.

The bottom line is that is that it is up to the phone to interpret the SIP message and "inform" the caller of the issue.

Some phones allow for certain messages to be mapped to a tone or to display or not display an error. You might take a look and see what capabilities are available from within the phone as well as ensuring that the tone set is correct.

4. ft47

I was referring to the parameter BUSYPORMPT (settings->parameters), but the one unter Settings -> PBX is enabled as well. Tried restarting the services, unfortunately no change in behavior. It seems that Sipgate does not provide anything other than the 404 error - which is technically correct I guess. When calling non existing/busy numbers, some providers send early media which - in that case - does work. But this is only a minority of called numbers and mostly cell phones.
    The phone (Cisco 7960) does not display anything unfortunately, so there is no chance to see what happend (busy/call error/number not existing) other than checking the log in web admin.
    As mentioned here:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/number-not-available-free-tone.50920/
    there should be a translation of the 404 message - and that is just what I would need.

#4 ft47, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. ft47

update: I just installed the update for the beta version and in two test calls (to a not registered sipgate number) it did work (prompt "number does not exist" was correctly played in german). No changes in config or parameters were made. So the issue seems to be resolved. Allthough the update killed the outlook integration, but that is another (and minor) problem...

6. ft47

update2: after some more calls, it seems that the prompt is played correctly only when the phone itself is used to dial, but it does still not work when using the client (cti) with MakeCall

7. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Either I missed that piece of information earlier or you neglected to mention it.... but you just answered your own question: MakeCall.

When dialing a number via CTI and "MakeCall" is shown, essentially the PBX is doing a 2-step transfer and will connect you to the destination number only after it is answered. If the call to the destination number fails, you will not hear these prompts.

8. ft47

before the last update, it didnt work with dialing directly from the phone either - which does work now. I understand that the mechanics behind the MakeCall function have a different handling, but as this is the main use case and the SIP 404 is received by the 3cx system, it would still be great if it could play any prompt. All information to do that should be available at that time

9. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I will double-check to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.