Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

No sound using 2 phones connected to TalkSwitch 484VS

Discussion in 'Windows' started by tolmar, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolmar

I'm trying to set up a new talkswitch PBX, we had a bit of problems with the network in the office but everything is great now.

1. the PBX has been reset to factory settings.
    2. we defined 2 ip extensions with user and passwords.
    3. 3cx phones were set up and connected to the pbx. the connection is successful.
    4. one phone is connected to the local network, and the other one is working on a computer outside the office.
    5. when you place a call from one extension on another the phone rings, but you can't either side. we've tried everything.

any idea on what should I check next?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Blocked , or misdirected ports are generally the reason for "no Audio " issues. The remote phone pretty much has to be using STUN.

3. tolmar

the talkswitch IP configuration shows it's using UPNP, it also has a built in check that reports that all ports required are open and reachable.

if there was a firewall problem, shouldn't the phone report that is not connected/reaching all the ports necessary for operation?

what does STUN mean?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Since this isn't a Talkswitch forum, you shouldn't expect people here to have knowledge of how that particular system operates. It's a competitor, so....

If you are using VoIP you should have a basic understanding of things related, such as STUN. You can find a lot of information if you do a search on the net. You might want to make yourself familiar with it if you are using remote extensions. It might not be your problem, but it is worth knowing about.

The phone will not be aware that a port is unable to reach it, you simply won't get any audio.

5. tolmar

Fair enough. I'm a beginner on VoIP and I didn't knew where the problem lies in the phone or in the PBX. Just trying to narrow it down.

Will do. Thanks.

Anything I can check on the phone just to make sure they are working 100% and have all the ports opened?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Nothing on the phone will tell you if there are ports that are not open at the PBX end. There is a Debug function on the phone that will give basic information that may be helpful if the the registration fails.

At the remote end, you should not have to do anything with the router, but, some routers (usually the more complicated ones) don't play nice with SIP and need to have "things" adjusted. You can confirm a router issue by moving the PC to another LAN. Any firewall programmes running on your PC may also have a detrimental effect.

7. tolmar

thx for all the help. we are going to try connect the PBX to a different router and check what will happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.