• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

no voicemail by email in free edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthware

Reaction score
Hi

The version comparison page:

https://www.3cx.com/ordering/pricing/

Shows that voicemail by email is in the free edition yet in my management screens for an extension its greyed out? I can get emails from 3cx for other alerts so I know the mail server settings are correct?

Hi

Please check again that link. Voice mail by email is not available in free version.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,814
Re-read the email that you received after you downloaded 3CX (you did do it correctly and provide contact information?).

http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/3CXPhoneSystem_brochure.pdf
found on the homepage under "Download our Brochure"

Attachments

• 3cx.png
    3cx.png
    137 KB · Views: 1,813
I think from my testing of V10 and V11 in free mode (I don't have a free version running at the moment to check) that it was a feature available in V10 but longer available in V11 without a license.

I do remember reading somewhere 3CX was committed to maintaining a free version but there was no commitment to the features that would available. I also seem to remember that ring my mobile was originally available in the free version but disappeared somewhere in v10.

I can well understand the desire of 3CX to sell licenses, its their business and without sales no one will be able to see the product developed, so its in all our interests. I can well understand new features not being available to free users but it does seem a shame to see features removed.

I am not a free user myself but I do appreciate that while free users don't contribute revenue their use, testing and input on this forum makes a valuable contribution to the development of the product.

I don't think any business should be relying on free software, if you make money from it pay for it. However I guess the home user market won't find the price (although very competitive) quite as worth while.

I would have thought the free version was a great window on the product to bring people into the 3CX community and eventually turn them into paying customers. Therefore making the free product as usable as possible seems a great marketing tool.

With windows home server now available for under £50 a free 3cx version with just a couple of extra features would make a compelling addition to that base product. The question I suppose is, how many of these users would have influence in their work environment to make their use into a commercial gain to 3CX.

I don't know the answer to that but I guess 3CX will eventually, in practical terms become a license only product.

The one change that I think 3CX should make, regardless of what features are available in the free product is to restrict the use of the free version for non commercial use only. I know that doesn't stop people taking the p - - s but in my experience business users generally follow the rules, especially for mission critical products.

most business DO NOT follow the rules...

paul.hadley said:
The question I suppose is, how many of these users would have influence in their work environment to make their use into a commercial gain to 3CX.

A few will, depending, of course, what the line of business is. If it is computer related, or of a technical nature, then there is more chance that an employee will be "dipping their toe" into a VoIP PBX at home. I would think that the majority of employees are just happy to pick up a handset and get dialtone, they don't care how it all works.

The majority of new sales are going to be influenced by costs.

How much is it costing to maintain this #@&%! that keeps failing?
How do we reduce our cost of placing/receiving calls?
How do we expand if we are using a PBX that is no longer made/supported?

The free, or Demo version allows prospective clients to test drive 3CX before taking the leap. It's always a nice option to take a prospective customer to a working site and talk to people actually using 3CX, as it will pretty much sell itself, but that is not always possible.

I would have thought that over the next 20 years nearly all PBX's will be IP based systems, although I deal with quite a few companies who still use older systems I can not think of a company that have replaced their phone system recently and not gone to an IP based system.

Given the ease of installation 3CX must be a very high on the list of replacements when it is evaluated. Its just a matter of it being on the list of options when companies are considering their options. That's why I generally think a viable free option to increase the user base makes sense. The more people who have experience of the system the more likely it is to make it onto the list.

I must admit that I have looked at other options for customers but 3CX always seems to make sense in the final evaluation, its certainly one piece of software that meets expectations in a market of often crap and dodgy software. I did some work on a SNOM One system recently and I have to say it was very disappointing software, especially when compared to 3CX.

Apart from general market awareness I guess the other long term danger is that someone finally comes up with an interface for Asterisk that doesn't require a degree in computer engineering to make sense of setting it up. If Asterisks had an interface like 3CX what would that do to devalue the IP PBX market. Free and usable to the average IT literate man in the street.

paul.hadley said:
I would have thought that over the next 20 years nearly all PBX's will be IP based systems, although I deal with quite a few companies who still use older systems I can not think of a company that have replaced their phone system recently and not gone to an IP based system.

Is anyone still even offering a new non-IP based system? A lot just depends on how reliable the older PBX's are.
Unfortunately, the choice of which IP based PBX can be swayed by what other brand of network equipment a company is currently using and what makes, the staff that maintain it ,are comfortable with (recommend). The relationship with the current network suppler has a lot to do with the decision as well. Many companies will go with the name brand that they are familiar with because it is on other equipment in the office, rather than going with (to them) an unknown, even if it may be the better choice.

Thre free features have been slowely disappearing as time passes. My company is looking into replacing our phone system, finally. We have a 23 year old NEC NEAX 1400 IMS system. It has every traditional feature that 3CX has, EXCEPT the IP features.

I tend to get systems in the door by implementing them with full features and then showing them off. Most of the time this works. 3cx no longer is possible this way. I do run 3cx myself at home and I have not upgraded past version 9 due to the lost features in the free later versions.

I am currently in the processes of looking at asterix or one of it's offshoots to demo at work along with a support package. The company ALWAYS jumps on free if it works and there is support available. I don't know if any software package we have implemented without purchasing support/upgrade insurance.

I like 3cx, but it's focus on the small users who drive implementation is pretty much gone. You can get more features and the same ease of implementation elsewhere now. It is sad to see the product moving in this direction.

Moon1234

Your post is likely a perfect example of why 3cx has chosen to limit features. The fact that you joined the forum in 2008 and have subsequently made a total of 34 posts over the past four years speaks volumes while using V9, and simply lessens the value attributable to your claims of small users driving implementation. I further enjoy your statement about how your company jumps on free..if it works and there is support.

Sure, why not? I suppose your company also supports providing its products for free to prospective customers ( please post catalog, so we can make our selections. Do they include free shipping too?). I guess you forget about the cost of development, marketing, support and distribution expenses that go into bringing a product to market and making it successful. Keep in mind that 3cx does have a demo version that allows for full feature functionality albeit with limited calls and presumably of limited duration. I feel certain 3cx will rue the day that they forgo your support/upgrade fee offer because they did not provide the product for free. I will try your strategy on the next new car I want. I'll see if they will give it to me if I promise to buy an extended warranty.

Sorry, but I just don't buy your logic. My take is that 3cx should expect to be paid a fee for its products and that the marketplace will, to a large degree, determine what that price will be. I also believe that those with an investment in the product will far and away have a far more vested interest in expressing it desires, pointing out errors/omissions and generally steering product roadmaps for the future than those with nothing at stake.

Well now it looks like Ring Groups have become an "enterprise" feature now, so the only way to forward inbound calls is through a menu system.

Might it be better if 3CX just withdrew the free version and offered a one month trial version. It is clear that despite their promise a few years ago that there would always be a free version in reality there isn't one anymore.

I guess in all honesty they did say there would always be a free version, they didn't say it would always be usable. I think they are right not to include new features in the free version of the product, but removing so many features does them little credit. And "Ring Groups" an enterprise feature, well that really is a joke, what is a basic phone system if it is not "extensions" "lines" "call Plans" and "ring groups". You may as well log the phone straight into the sevice provider for all 3cx does now.

I can not claim to have spent hours on the system myself, but I guess many who have invested time in the product since the first buggy versions feel they have wasted their time on the product now.

Hey Guys ... There is still a free 3CX version, and if you use the demo license code that 3CX provide at the download point, you are actually able to view, configure and use ALL of the features in 3CX ... The change is not in that there are less features, it's actually about having less concurrent calls! (2 rather than 4).

If you are genuinely wanting to evaluate 3CX and show it's capabilities to users and management, then you now have a better way of doing it than before, because you can show them EVERYTHING!

If you just want a free phone system for your business - then yes - either stick with 3CX version 10 or buy a version 11 4SC license ... Which is still way good value when compared to anything else on the market ...

3CX [and we resellers] can't run as a charity ... give us & them a break!

I have to agree with Ineblett, 3cx has a demo license key that allows full functionality with a two simultaneous call limit which in my opinion will allow a user to evaluate the system. I'm not an installer or reseller, just a small company that needed to replace and old Key service unit with a new modern phone system. I used the free demo version for about a month and then purchased an 8 call license, a support license and upgrade insurance and feel it was money very well spent. Think about it, how long can any company stay in business if they give away the product for free. Seems to me the only ones complaining are those who have no intention of buying anyway....just my opinion

I am not sure the issue here is really what features are or are not available in the free product.

From memory the product started out as free, however it must have been obvious that position was unsustainable in the long run so a commercial version which differentiated its self from the free version was not only an obvious choice, but I would have said a essential choice.

What I think is the problem here is perception. In the early days all users were free users and the question was raised on this forum when the first commercial version appeared, will there always be a free version. 3CX said yes, there will always be a free version of the product. Now they did not need to make that commitment but chose to. I would guess they thought it was to their commercial advantage to keep users interested in the product.

Now as has been said by others in this tread, if get something for free you can not expect it to come gold plated, fully serviced and to the latest specification. However you might expect to keep what you already have, the current features.

By leaving a free version but making it practically unusable you give the impression of being both devious in your intentions and dishonest in your original commitment. 3CX didn't reply to the original question of will thee always be a free version with yes just about, it was simply a yes. Most reasonable people would read into this, yes, this product will always have a developed free version you can rely on so keep on using the product and helping us develop the product. The current position now gives the impression that 3CX don't need you anymore unless you buy a license so you can go away now, thank you very much.

I don't suppose that removing another feature will increase license sales anymore than leaving features in will reduce license sales, it does however create a bad impression and waste the good will built up with users over the years.

As an earlier post says, the essential nature of a PBX is connecting lines to extensions and visa versa. The two basic tools for this is dial plans and ring groups. Fancy music on hold, call parking facilities and conference facilities are definitely an enterprise feature, rings groups are not an enterprise feature, they are an essential feature of any PBX.

I am not a free user of the product so its feature list is not really relevant to me but the continuing good reputation of the product and company is. What I do think is essential action by 3CX is clarity on their position. Either put back the features that have been whittled away in the last updates from version 9 or simply remove the free version and replace it with a simple time limited trial and clear position that all users pay for a license. It might offend those who use the product for free, it may even reduce the future user base but at least those users will know where they stand. They can go and find alternative solutions to their needs and we won't keep seeing threads like this appear on every major update.

The problem with the FREE Edition was it gave too much away for free.

Most small companies not requiring anymore then 4 concurrent calls and this will cover most companies with fewer then say 7-8 Staff / Phones could make use of the FREE Edition and not have get a commercial licence.

We have noticed a huge increase of individual’s expecting everything for FREE and also receive support on a free product for Free also.

No business will survive if it does not make money on the products / services it sells.

I think the question that some people need to ask them self’s is this (Without sounding rude)

A) Would you go to work and do your job without payment? (how would you then pay your bills and support your family)
B) Would the company you work for provide its products and services to its customers without payment? (How would it pay its Staff)

3CX is a very good phone system and is getting better every year, We are a premium partner and focus on 3CX 100% and that's all we do every day of the week.

We provide a good service to our customer base in exchange for payment of our services that then pays our overheads, without payment we would be out of business.

The way I see it (throwing in my two cents worth) is that the "free" version was probably seen as being used commercially in too many installations, and an attempt has been made to curtail that, while still allowing "home" (non commercial users) something. The Demo licence still allows full testing and home use while severely limiting it's use in a business environment. If you have a home setting that requires more than two concurrent conversations, then, there are other solutions out there.

If you are running a commercial enterprise, and making money using 3CX, the idea is that you should be paying for the "tool" (just as you would with any other), that allows your business to function.

I Agree

leejor said:
The way I see it (throwing in my two cents worth) is that the "free" version was probably seen as being used commercially in too many installations, and an attempt has been made to curtail that, while still allowing "home" (non commercial users) something. The Demo licence still allows full testing and home use while severely limiting it's use in a business environment. If you have a home setting that requires more than two concurrent conversations, then, there are other solutions out there.

If you are running a commercial enterprise, and making money using 3CX, the idea is that you should be paying for the "tool" (just as you would with any other), that allows your business to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samuel_1997
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.