• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

No voicemail - email sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philco

Reaction score
Hi., I'm having trouble trying to get voicemails sent as an attachment to an email. Basically I cant get it to work.

The voicemail is being generated ok but remains on the server even though I set the voicemail option to send as an attachment and remove from server. The destination of the voicemail is to an email address off site and not on a local server.

I have the smtp server addresws set up ok and I have tried with and without authentication.

I am waiting for my ISP to confirm I can view my mail logs to see if smtp is being rejected from 3cx, the same server is used for remote viewing of mail using IMAP and works fine.

Phil

Some ISP's reject port 25 (SMTP) traffic travelling beyond their network and you didn't indicate if this is the case. Can you answer the following questions please?

1) Without asking you to provide too much personal info, can you tell us who your ISP is? That is, who you get Internet access from.
2) Is this the same ISP that's providing the e-mail account that you are attempting to send mail to?

Let us know.
Darrell Chapman

Use the SMTP from your internet provider, if it' s not the same as your mailprovider.
Without authentication, cause that' s not necessary.

Hi Darrell, thanks for the reply.

The ISP is Andrews and Arnold (aaisp.net.uk)

Indeed, the same ISP as the email account.

Note, I have omitted adding :25 on the end of the smtp server address, though I do know that the port used by aaisp for smtp is 25.

My IMAP (Thunderbird) mail client works fine using the same server.

Regards

Phil

Your post came in landfiets as I was replying to Darrel

Phil

Phil,

I suspect that this is an authentication problem.

Let's not wait for your ISP to get back to you. Do you know how to use telnet (well, technically its not telnet) to type in commands to your mail server? Let me walk you through it if you don't. This example is without authentication so let's try that first. If you do this, please respond back with what codes and messages you received as a response.

1) Open a Command Prompt windows (Start-->Run, type CMD, press OK)
2) Type telnet and press Enter
3) Type open smtpserver 25 and press Enter where smtpserver is the name of your smtpserver
4) You should then see a welcome message
5) Type MAIL FROM: youremailaddress and press Enter where youremailaddress is the senders email address
6) You should see a response code and message
7) Type RCPT TO: recipientemailaddress and press Enter where recipientemailaddress is the recipient's email address
8) You should see another response code and message
9) Type DATA and press Enter
10) Type any random text and press Enter
11) Type . (single dot or period) and press Enter
12) You should see another response code and message and the message should now be queued for delivery
13) Type Quit and press Enter

If you make any mistakes when typing the command you will have to press Enter and enter the command again. You cannot backspace to fix typos.

Let us know what you find out.

Hi Darrell, message posted and received ok there no problems.

Phil

Phil, we're making progress.

Now we know that your ISP does not require authentication to send mail so that's not the problem. Did you receive the test e-mail in your Inbox? Do you happen to know if your e-mail account has built-in spam protection provided by your ISP? HTML encoded messages have a higher Spam weighting and sometimes are blocked by ISPs. The message that 3CX sends to the mail server is HTML encoded so this may be the problem.

See if you can log in to your ISPs Web Mail interface and find out if there are any Spam controls.

Please let us know.
Darrell Chapman

Hi Darrell. yes I received the email no problems, and as I run IMAP on my laptop I can check that emails being sent to the email address are not being put in the spam folder and there are none in there that shouldnt be. I can edit my spam rules at my ISP.

I should have mentioned that I dont normally need auhentication when loging in from my own adsl, but do from alternative locations (as expected).

So, whether there is somehing strange about my ISP smtp I dont know, but AAISP are pretty good with their service.

Phil

Phil, I guess that leads us to a breakdown in communication between 3CX and your mail server. However, all is not lost.

Do you have any experience using Wireshark? If so, we could use that to "look" in to the conversation between the 3CX server and your ISPs mail server. If not, it's up to you on whether you would like to try this. Its not all that difficult but should definately tells us what's going on.

If you want to try this, download and install Wireshark from http://www.wireshark.org/. Private message me with your e-mail address when done and I will send you instructions on how to setup and capture packets with Wireshark. I'd prefer not to post the results in this thread since it will contain some information (username, password, IP addresses) that you don't want everyone to have access to.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Darrell Chapman

Thanks to Darrell for suggesting I monitor the smtp connections.

Using Wireshark it appears that 3cx is using the PC name in the smtp connctions rather than what appears to be a dummy ip address.

This the connection from 3cx and fails
SMTP Command: EHLO port_pc
SMTP Response: 501 Syntactically invalid EHLO argument(s)

This is the connection when Thunderbird mail client makes a connect and works.
SMTP Command: EHLO [127.0.0.1]

So any ideas please, why 3cx is using the computer name. This problem ocours on two computers boh of which are on public static ip addreses if thats of any consequence.

Thanks

Phil

Hi all. The problems has been solved. My greatful thanks to Darrell for searching the RFC rules and establishing that you can not have an undercore character in a host name and it appears that 3cx uses the computer name in smtp connections which in my case and probably other ISPs reject it.

The computer names I have used have all had undercosre characters for the past 7 years, but thsi is the first time I've had any trouble with them. So for the sake of using 3cx on the test bech at least, we've removed underscores from all our PCs.

Thanks again for your help landfiets and Darrell.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.