Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Noob Question - How to connect analog phones?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by eagle 1, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagle 1

I am new to 3cx. I have the system up and running fine. However, I would like to know what ata or gateway is recommended to add analog phones as extensions to the 3cx system. Linksys pap2t ? What is the the difference between fxs and fxo? My current provider uses both the grandstream ht 502 and linksys pap2t. I have them configured to the provider and the phones plugged into their fxs ports and they analog phones do work, but i would like to add them as extensions to the 3cx system.

Well as you can tell I am a noob and would like your expert advice..

thanks

2. inter-rupteur

Hi Eagle 1,

the difference between FX0 and FXS

Without PBX :

[​IMG]

With PBX :

[​IMG]

3. h2009

h2009 Member

I would recommend a grandstream or patton unit. The linksys unit isn't very good in my view.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

FXS=Station, it's what the "station" or telephone plugs into. It provides 48 volts (or 24) to the phone (and ringing)
    FXO=Office, it's what the central office phone line plugs into. It wants 48 volts fed into it and accepts ringing generator (90 VAC)

The terms FXS and FXO come from the types of T1 carrier cards that are still used in the PSTN network. When someone wants dialtone (a telephone line) from a foreign exchange and it was too far for a two wire copper circuit, the phone companies would route it over T1 carrier. At the subsriber end the would put a FXS card in one of the 24 slots in the channel bank (Foreign Exchange Subscriber) then, at the office supplying dialtone they would use an FXO card (foreign Exchange Office),

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.