noob questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gonzo__007, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonzo__007

hi all,

I'm starting a compagny for installing voip services.

im running 3cx at home for a year and it works fine.

2 questions:

1: when connecting multiple phone (they will be linksys spa-942) phone 1 sip port will be 5060. do I put all lines of all phone on port 5060 ? or I have to put 5060, 5061, 5062 ? is there a wiki on this and also some best practice on setuping those phone for 3cx?

2: 3cx server itself. at home I leave everything default. just added my extension, my DID, inbound and outbound roules and play with digital receptionist... and it work great. is there some stuff to change to have beter resault and increase stability ?
    setup will be (4x spa942, 3cx server with 2 did, a linksys wrt54g. (I found the wiki on steing up the router)

thanks for your help !

2. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Before you start selling VoiP services I would suggest you review the 3CX Wiki, Manuals, and browse the forum a bit. Telephones are a critical business service, it is one thing for a website to go down, but it is not ever acceptable for phones to go down.

http://wiki.3cx.com/

All of your phones will be setup on port 5060
    If you are having stability issues that is something that needs to be looking into, there are some settings which can be adjusted phone side and within 3CX to increase voice quality etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can now upgrade the firmware to allow up to four lines, Linksys has a free download on their website if you haven't done so yet. You can set up (the default) multiple appearances of the first key, on the other keys OR have individual, unique numbers on each key. There is a place to enter a port number for each lkey, each different phone number appearing on the set would have a unique port number as the phone is only using one IP. You could, in fact have a completely different VoIP provider on one of the keys.

4. gonzo__007

thanks for your help...

tpinnovations is saying all on port 5060
    leejor is saying on different ports since it's the same IP.

what leejor is saying make sence...

phone #1
    - line 1 port 5060
    - line 2 port 5061
    - line 3 port 5062
    - line 4 port 5063

phone #2
    - line 1 port 5060
    - line 2 port 5061
    - line 3 port 5062
    - line 4 port 5063

and so on...
    right ?

and im having hard time to find what im looking for on the wiki...

5. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

You only have to configure line 1 and all 4 lines will work unless for some reason you want a different extension on each line.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Discovery Technology

I think you might find that by using 5060 on all ports the phone should work fine - some quick testing at your end should confirm this.

There are also some useful forum articles that discuss issues with echo (and how to resolve them), dial plans, etc that you should look into.

I would also suggest reading through the Linksys manual at least once end-to-end as you may find some useful features that you weren't aware of (such as setting up the customer's company logo on the screen).

Please note that the majority of the user experience is determined by how you setup the phones - 3CX itself will just work reliably in the background otherwise.

Purchasing a license for each customer also really pays off as some of the unlocked features really make 3CX a great phone system.

One, last tip: set each extension for 'use phone status' and you'll find that you can load up each of the handsets with multilpe calls.

7. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

You do not have to use different ports on different phones, or different extensions on the same phone.

Setting each up sequentially is just asking for trouble.

8. Discovery Technology

I don't usually enter these types of comments in, however I feel obliged to do so in this instance - I thought I already said that in my previous post...

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've had mine set up for about four months now with no issues. I did the firmware upgrade to allow all four lines. Each of the four keys has a different 3CX extension number and each line has a unique port number, 5060 to 5063. You may be able to get it to work by assigning the same port number to different extension numbers on each key, but, after working with other Linksys devices,know that they all assign a unique port number to each line or internal device (FXS/FXO as in the 3000 or 3102). So, that's the way i went. If you just use one extension number, it can show up as second, third, and fourth appearances on the one set with the use of one port number.

You can try using the same port number with each unique extension, If it works for you, great,BUT, if you have problems, then go back to unique numbers.

I would ask myself why Linksys would provide the ability to set the port for each line if a different port number wasn't required ?? Hmmmm

10. gonzo__007

thank you all for your help

11. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

My apologies, I had typed that response and stepped away from my desk for a few hours before submitting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.