Not really a 3cx related question but.... (GXP2000)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by miraportuga, Oct 17, 2007.

1. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Been trying to find on internet something about but cant find anything, maybe theres nothing, becouse simply it wont work. Anyways, my doubt is, Will GXP2000 Prioratize voice traffic if i put him between my Router and my Lan?? I know some devices that can do that, but i would prefer not to spend more money.
    Cheers

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

It fully supports layer 3/network QOS so it will prioritize network traffic for voice.
    I believe most IP phones support QOS. Now does your router and switch support it?

3. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Well, i know that GXP2000 prioritizes Voice packets that are sent from him, what i wanted to know, is if it will prioritize all my Voice Traffic from my LAN, since all traffic passes throuhg the phone..... My router supports QoS but to be honest.... i would prefer that it didnt, it sucks so bad...... thats why i would like to use GXP2000 to do this for all voice packets going outside...

Cheers

4. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Sorry I didn't realize that is what you wanted to do. How many clients/hosts/nodes do you want to do this for? I don't think the switch on the phone is built for that kind of need.
    Worth trying though.

5. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

On my Lan i have 4 Voice devices and 1 server, 2 IP Phones, 2 adapters and 1 server......
    1 GrandStream GXP2000(the one prioratizing traffic, hopefully) 1 SPA901, 1 PAP2 and 1 SPA3102.

Cheers

6. LLangston

We tried the priotizing with our Grandstream products (GXW-4104 gateway, GXP-2000, and BT-200) without a lot of success. It always did one of two things, it either locked up the phones and the gateway, or it locked me out of the 3CX console. Our switch and router both support Qos. I am sure this probably doesn't help in the least but that was our experience with it. We have since switched to an AudioCodes gateway and Polycom phones because we were not happy with the audio quality that we got from the Grandstream products.

7. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Crap.... lol, i thought that maybe GXP had it becouse it has Router built in....
    Hopefully i wont have any problems with it, just wanted to have QoS so that i could be sure that i would have 0 issues....

Cheers

8. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Don't be cheap here - just buy a new 8 port router (still cheap though) with QOS on it. Everything will be happier with that.

I think for the $60-$80 you'll spend will be well worth it.

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Rob,

Could you please explain, what is "layer 3/network QOS"?
    Is it "TOS" or not?

Thanks

10. LLangston

Now that I went back and re-read what has been said here and looked back over my notes on the Grandstream GXW-4104 it is the Layer 2 Qos that provides for tagging and prioritizing, and it was this that froze up the gateway and the phones or else locked me out of the 3CX console even though our router and switch supported it.

11. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Sure - Layer 3 also called the Network layer of the OSI model. This is the layer where IP (not TCP) works. Routers work at layer 3 since they route IP packets. Having QOS on layer 3 helps prioritize IP packets for routing.

Layer 2 (Data Link layer) is where the MAC address is and where switches operate. So a layer 2 QOS would work at the switch level and not on the IP level, so no routing prioritization when it hits the router.

Does that help explain it? The marketing stuff I found for this phone said it's works at layer 3. That's a good thing. Just not sure if the device itself was meant for handling the extra traffic from additional devices besides 1 PC being pushed through it.

12. miraportuga

miraportuga Member

Well, i dont know lol.... I was thinking on emailing Grandstream and see what they would say, but the last email i sent them was like, 1 month ago about an issue i had witth the phone and so far... i got no answer from them....
    Im using codec G729 anyways so bandwith is low... just that.. i wanted to make sure... everything would go smooth. I too know that i would solve it with a cheap router, but at this point cheap for me its expensive... already spent alot on "stuff" for Voip, Bill going over 500$ now... and thats a bit for me... anyways Thanks for you answers :|

Cheers

13. LLangston

Miraportuga,
    When we had the Grandstream products we had an ongoing dialog with Grandstream tech support and the codec that they recommended using is the G.711mu or PCMU then the G.711a or PCMA. The G.729 is primarily for video at this time.

I do empathize with you on trying to get anyone to respond from the Grandstream tech support, I finally had to get rather bullish to get a response.

I still have copies of all my configs for the GXW-4104, GXP-2000, and the BT-200. We were able to get everything working on it they way it was supposed to, we changed to the AudioCodes MP-114 and the Polycom Soundpoint 501 because of audio quality issues that no amount of tweaking were going to change. I would be happy to send you a copy of the configs that I have though if you would like.