Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Notify external app

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MikeMelga, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMelga

Hi.
    I am very new to 3CX. I've installed the latest version last week and began to play with it.
    I am testing it in my home installation. I have several gateways (gsm, analog) and configured 4 extensions.
    I activated the demo version to test all the funcionalities.

In my initial tests I have 2 doubts/requests:

1 - I would like to notify an external app of ALL the incoming calls to ANY extension. Is there any way to do it? I am using 3CX My Phone to do it but I can only register an extension at a time. Do I need to run 4 3CX My Phone instances to do it?

2 - Is there any chance to notify an external app in a menu option of a digital receptionist? I would like for example to call an extension/digital receptionist and be able to issue home automation tasks like opening the front gate. Is this possible? Is there a chance to add a 'external command' to the action list? :)

Thanks.

Regards,
    Mike

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use an external device attached to an ATA to control devices via DTMF. X10 used to make AC control modules as well as a DTMF to X10 controller. I bought a number of these when a store was clearing them out. I'm sure that if you do some searches they (or something similar) is on-line.

I'm not certain of another way of doing what you are attempting as it is going to require some sort of external interface device in any event.

3. MikeMelga

Hi leejor.
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am aware of such devices but the reason I want 3CX to handle the request is that I can filter by incoming caller ID and apply all the logic I already have in the server.
    The problem is not how to command the devices (gate, lights, HVAC), as I can control them even with a .bat file. The problem is WHEN to trigger the .bat file.

I thought of something that a bit stupid but may be doable:
    1- I create an extension only for gate opening
    2 - In the digital receptionist I program a key to direct to that extension
    3 - I run an instance of 3CX My Phone in that extensions that executes an external app when ringing.

The problem with this solution is that I would have yet ANOTHER instance of 3CX My Phone running.

Isn't there a way to have the external notifications on the server?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have not tried anything like that. The only "external" notifications that i make use of is the email generated when a message is left in voicemail. You might be able to do something with that as it contains the Caller ID..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.