number of lines necessary in ip telephone for 3cx

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jmiedema, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmiedema

if i have 6 voip trunks in 3cx does an ip telephone extension als need to have 6 sip accounts. or does te number of to be stored sip accounts on the ip telephone doesnt matter anymore with 3cx.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

By 6 trunks, I assume this to mean that you have 6 single path trunks (6 numbers) which essentially emulates 6 PSTN line as opposed to an unlimited concurrent call path which allows as many calls as your bandwidth and license will support.

The answer is no, you do not need to have an IP phone that supports the same number of trunks. The PBX will handle the trunks and you will establish rules on how the PBX will accommodate how the trunk call handling will be accomplished.

Having said that however, most phone makes come with a wide array of options of which the quantity of line appearances/accounts is one. It usually follows that if you get a phone with only one or two appearances, the manufacturers feel like the need for additional buttons is not warranted and therefore you end up with a minimalistic phone that doesn't fit your need. The line appearance buttons can also usually be programmed to fulfill other functions. The bottom line is buttons can make all the difference in the world about how to make things easier for yourself and others.

I would only get a single line appearace phone for places like lobbies or other courtesy type needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.