Number registration when registering to VoIP provider

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by BytecafeConsulting, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BytecafeConsulting

We are looking at switching from Asterisk to 3CX and have a test 3CX system up and trying to use one of our phone numbers that is not used in Asterisk. I am able to register to our unsupported VoIP Provider (OfficeTone), but inbound calls get an invalid extension message and outbound calls show the Auth ID as caller ID number instead of the the phone number I am trying to use. In Asterisk, we had to register the phone numbers used in sip.conf with a line like this:
    register => +1##########:password:AuthID@sipt.officetone.com/+1##########

Is there a 3CX equivalent of this? It behaves like the provider doesn't know where to send calls to that number because it hasn't registered. OfficeTone has not yet responded to me, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas.

2. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

I will make the assumption that you register the numbers separately with the provider, then.. versus one registration and the BTN/DIDs trunk.

Looking at: +1##########:password:AuthID@sipt.officetone.com/+1##########

SIP server hostname or IP would be sipt.officetone.com
    External number would be +1########## or +1##########.. though it may have to be AuthID..
    Authentication ID would be.. AuthID
    Authentication Password would be.. password

You can check the HUD under Ports/Trunks Status to check registration.
    Either case, the registration attempt will appear in the log, which may lead you in the direction to troubleshoot if needed.

If there is only one pair of AuthID and password for your trunk.. you may need to just use that to register.. and add your DIDs to that.. after seeing a successful registration.

3. BytecafeConsulting

The numbers are all registered separately in Asterisk. All use the same Authentication ID and password.

3CX does not like the + at the beginning of the number required in Asterisk for External Number and it also requires a valid number, so it will not take Authentication ID for External Number.

It is registering successfully, it just isn't using the phone number assigned.

06-Jun-2013 13:40:09.347 [CM504004]: Registration succeeded for: Lc:10000(@OfficeTone[<sip:AuthID@sipt.officetone.com:5060>])
    06-Jun-2013 13:40:09.194 [CM504003]: Sent registration request for Lc:10000(@OfficeTone[<sip:AuthID@sipt.officetone.com:5060>])

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Have you setup an outbound rule? Also for incoming calllse under ports and trunks status have you selected where you want to point calls coming into the system on that particular trunk?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BytecafeConsulting

I have setup an outbound rule and it lets me make calls, the caller ID just showed my AuthID rather than the number. For testing, I am trying to direct incoming calls to the voicemail extension. Inbound calls do not show up at all in server activity log, so I'm assuming the invalid extension message I'm getting is from my provider because 3CX has not registered that particular number.

6. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

That sounds correct. The message sounded like it was coming from the provider, based on the line not being registered. Making it work on 3CX was your challenge at hand. Grats! :)

7. BytecafeConsulting

Got it figured out once provider responded to me. Had to set ports to 0 to use DNS SRV to set port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.