Numeric keypad

Discussion in 'Windows' started by TomKov, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomKov

Hi,
    when using the 3cxPhone Windows client, the numeric keypad of the computer can be well used for dialing numbers (instead of clicking on the 3cxPhone window with a mouse). But once connected, the numeric keypad canNOT be used for sending DTMF - only mouse clicks on the client or the normal keypad of the computer is accepted. Any possibility to change this?
    Thx,
    --- Tom

2. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

Hi there,
    Running SP6.1 I do not have same issue and can indeed use the keypad of 3CXPhone or computer keyboard, please ensure you are running latest versions available.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TomKov

Actually, I am using the newest version of 3cx softphone (3CXPhone for VoiP Providers) I could find, which is 6.0.26523.0. And again, the numeric keypad can be used only for dialing, but not any more during the call...

4. pj3cx

pj3cx Active Member

very old version, v12 sp6.1 can be found on http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhoneforWindows12.msi

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TomKov

The problem apparently being that I am not using 3cx Phone System 12, but I am directly connecting to my VoIP provider - and with the "new" 3cx I never get connected to the servers, even though the settings are identical to the "old" 3cxPhone for VoIP. SOmetimes the message comes, cannot connect to Phone System 12, sometimes nothing comes, but the connection is never established. That's why I continued using the "old" 3cxPhone for VoIP.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, version 6.XXX is the last one that will work with a server other than 3CX.

7. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Tom
    3CXPhone 6.x is discontinued since a long time ago and, as Leejor said, the new 3CXPhone for 3CXPhoneSystem12 works only with a 3CXphoneSystem ver12 PBX.

However, in your case:
    - please check the keyboard's NumLock
    - please be sure the 3CXPhone itself has the focus, so the keyboard is directed to it.

I'm telling this because on my ver 6.0.20943 the numeric keypad is sending DTMF properly - there is also the visual feedback, when pressing a key, the corresponding 3CXPhone dial button highlights blue. Related with the second case, a good example I had is the following: I have video enabled, and when the 999 call has been established and the webcam became active, my PC (Dell) launch Webcam's app, which steal 3CXPhone's focus. If I'm not aware, then the keypad has no effect, being directed to the Webcam app, so I have to click 3CXphone's display to regain the focus, and after that the numeric keypad is working ok.

Hope it helps
    vali

8. TomKov

Thanks, Vali, this helps. The most important message is that 3cx does not support PBX's other than 3cx any more - in fact I need a softphone and do not intend to install 3cx PBX - I prefer using my own asterisk. So I see I will have to leave the 3cx users community, if 3cx wants to force people only into their proprietary solution. I am coming from the open world in the IT and telecommunications and I will stay there...

As to the second point - I really do not understand the problem. Sure I have checked the NumLock and the focus. The funny story is that I also see the "visual feedback" you write about (the buttons on the 3cx window highlighting in blue) - but only when I use the normal keypad, not the numeric one. And as said - for dialing I can use the numeric keypad, yet there is no "visual feedback" - only the typed digits appear on the 3cx display... So it is really funny.

Anyways. With 3cx leaving the open world, there is no future with them for me, so the discussion gets just academic...

Thanks for your help,
    --- Tom

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how other forum members see it but, I don't see 3CX now being a "Proprietary Solution". The early versions of the 3CX phone were a lot more basic (generic) than the latest releases, and lacked a lot of PBX type features. It just so happened to work with providers/PBXs other than 3CX, and there was no charge for it. You have to keep in mind that unlike some other software based PBXs, 3CX is running a business (it's not open software), and they want to sell you a PBX licence. That's business. The latest versions of the 3CX phone offer a lot more features, features that users asked for, and, are specifically tailored to the corresponding release of the PBX software to the benefit of those of us that actually use the 3CX PBX.

That said...any SIP compliant device or softphone can probably be made to work with the 3CX PBX, some easier than others, because it isn't using a closed, proprietary protocol.

I don't think that anyone is forcing you onto anything, you are free to continue to use an outdated version of the softphone if you wish. From the sounds of it, your issue, may be the result of the hardware you are using and not the phone itself.

10. TomKov

Please do not understand me wrong - I fully accept that 3cx can select any strategy they want.
    But let me just say - 3cx has been long time on the market - both as PBX and softphone. Does not matter if it is for free or for a license fee. And if their softphone suddenly ceases supporting open protocols and speaks only to their own PBX, then it is a proprietary solution. I have never spoken about the PBX, but about the client.
    And after years of using their softphone on PCs (the small problem with the dialing is really just a marginal and unimportant point) and on mobile devices, I am a bit surprised if the vendor stops supporting open environment - especially if you get no warning and find it out just by chance. Again, yes, it was for free, but if I have to select a vendor of a licensed solution, I will definitively take into account how they handle their "for free" users.

And yes, in fact there is no issue. There are many providers of high quality SIP softphones, so switching is no big pain (except lost of trust). Using an outdated version is a great idea - as is using unsupported versions in general.
    Oh yes, I highly appreciate that "they let me use their unsupported version".

11. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Tom, this is, basically, a never-ending discussion. Believe it or not, I'm still using a 5-floppy disks, 16-bit image-processing application made back in 1993. I even have a VM running XP only for this. For my needs - it's perfect.

Is not "we allow you to use our discontinued product" - you may use it or drop it, simple as that. You may still get useful feedback here, not only by community, but also by us, those involved in its development. But how, why and when it has been discontinued are beyond discussions here.

Since your question has been answered, please consider this topic closed.
    vali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.