Observations

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by xotj123, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xotj123

I just sat down at my DEV box. It’s a Dell Precision T3400 Quad Core running Windows 7 64 Bit. I have wanted to try 3CX out for a while. I happened to have an Aastra 6751i RP from a discontinued Response Point product. I wanted to use this phone for my testing. I also chose to use the Skype for SIP beta as I already had a Skype account. I also wanted to test Virtualization. So what I did was install SVR 2008 as A Virtual Machine on my Windows 7 Box. I then downloaded and installed 3CX. Had re-flash the Phone with the Aastra generic SIP firmware, replacing the Response Point firmware. Tested phone, had dial tone. Then proceeded to setup Skype as VoIP provider. Basically, I was able to setup and configure the 3CX server, a phone and a voip provider in about 20 minutes. All running virtualized on my Win 7 box. I have been making and receiving calls for the last 30 minutes. Sound quality is very good. And also let me mention that I have the smallest ATT DSL package available, $19.95 a month. I will be deploying this at my office soon, I am extremely happy thus far.
    Great product!!!

Regards,
    TJ Havens
    http://www.TechnicalDude.com

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Glad you like it - we love it too.

Just FYI, a typical SIP call will use about 100Kbps each way for a call (depends on the codec used but 100 is an easy approximation). Most DSL has high downloads (some up as high as 10Mbps - meaning 100 calls) and the lowest is usually around 1.5Mbs (meaning 15 calls at a time with no other load).

The upload is where is comes into play. Uploads are a lot lower and usually range in the 350k or 750k area. So usually you can have 3 or 7 simultaneaous calls with no other traffic.

This is more than adequate for a 1 call use (I actually got rid of my home line and connected my home phone to the office 3cx and added a DID going out through my Verizon DSL to the office where it hops onto the t1).

We have a customer who has an 8CCS VOIP package for 24 of their users. They didnt want to go to a T1 and have a good DSL connection for their internet. So we put in a second Dry Loop DSL from Verizon just for the phones. A dual Wan router gives us all the control we need and also failover for either DSL.

Their internet use does not interfere with the DSL and vice versa.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. velocityiq

I need to set up Skype for Sip as well but haven't found good docs on doing so. Have a Skype for Business account with an incomming nubmer, followed the usual 3CX setup using thier skype template in VoIp providers and registration fails with "unautherized" from Skype. Did both IP based authentication on Skype as well as user/pass. Do you have any notes from when you set up Sip for Skype in 3CX that might help? Thanks.

4. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

if you are intresed in bandwith usage have a look here: http://www.3cx.de/blog/bandbreitennutzung-ethernet-internet/
    It is in german (well i am and i got hammered always with this question) but the pictures make the info...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.