One way audio after first call

Discussion in 'Android' started by equvocat, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. equvocat

Device Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Phone Model: [HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus | Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7]
    Firmware Version: [4.03 | 3.2 | 3.2]

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Handset: [Phone]
    Contacts: [Local|Public]
    Connection: [WiFi|3G]
    Server: [Internal|External]

Had just set up 3CX v10 in my company, got a few users on these Android phones (I know they're not on the supported list yet). The issue encountered is that if the 3CX app starts up, the first incoming/outgoing call will receive audio 2 ways on the Android device. Once the call ends the second call's outgoing audio from the Android set will not be picked up by any other VOIP sets at all. Shutting down the app and re-opening it solves the issue for another call, after which the second call gets the issue again.

This has been duplicated on all 3 sets listed above, and can be replicated whether or not the Android user or the called recipient picks up the phone. It also does not matter whether the Android user is handling an internal extension, an external one, or even outside numbers. Tried it on 3G, with the 3CX tunnel on and on internal Wifi and the same problem persists.

Pre-submission test:
    Had all ports (TCP/UDP 5090, TCP 5000 [for MyPhone access]) opened up on firewall.
    Ran 3CX firewall checker, all tests passed with exit code 0.
    Replicated the same set of tests on the iOS 3CX app, no issues whatsoever (iOS 3CX app on exact same configuration as far as I can tell).
    Installed Telnet client on the Android devices, the devices could see the ports without any issues.
    Monitored 3CX server logs, didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

To minimise the possibility of the telco provider blocking the connections, I've:
    Tried tethering the Android devices to an iOS device, called via both 3G and wifi, same issues on the Android sets.
    Tried tethering a iOS to all 3 Android devices, called via both 3G and wifi, no issues on the iOS set.
    The 3G tests were done on 2 different telco providers, yet they provided the same result.

Surprisingly, another colleague on an older Xperia Arc with Gingerbread 2.3.7 (and using one of these 2 telco providers) had no issues at all!

I strongly suspect that the 3CX Android app is not releasing the voice port after the connection terminates. If the Gingerbread Android device works, then either the Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich architecture has changed sufficiently that the voice port is no longer released, or the app only releases the voice port for a known checklist of devices.

For the list of settings set on all the Android devices (including the Xperia Arc) it is as follows:

User, ID and Password correctly set
    Local and External PBX IP correctly set
    PBX Port 5060
    3CX Tunnel Used
    Local IP of Remote PBX -> same as Local PBX IP
    Tunnel Port 5090
    Password for tunnel correctly set
    No proxy
    Echo Cancellation and Silence Detection enabled
    Play Buffer, Record Buffer -1
    Mic Gain 2 (default)
    Audio Codecs: GSM, G711a, G711u enabled in decreasing priority
    Local SIP Port: 5065
    Registration Timeout 120
    Keep-Alive Interval 0
    DTMF Method RFC-2833
    TCP Transport, NAT Helper, Enable ICE all off due to no usage of Stun Server

Any ideas? I'm sure out of it now.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

And, that very well, may be the problem. If the set does not yet say that it is supported, it may be because the 3CX team has not yet had a sample to test on, or, that they have run into the same issue that you have.
    If it were me, I would attempt to shut down as many other running applications, especially those using a data connection, to see if there is a resolution. There may simply be a conflict with something else running in the background. While you may be able to isolate the "culprit", you may not have much luck in making that a viable solution in the long term as apps have a habit of starting even when we don't want them to.

Worse case scenario, is that you have to wait for a future release, once 3CX has done some testing, on the Galaxy Tab

3. equvocat

Thanks leejor,

Did just that, closed all apps and ensured that nothing else was running. Still the same issue. On the second call, the mic on these newer Android sets seems to pick up its own voice transmission and broadcast it rather than the incoming voice transmission. Just thought it might be helpful for the 3CX folks (e.g. Vali) to take note of.

I understand that supported handsets are likely restricted to what's available for the regions that the 3CX folks are based in. For now, the only workaround is to get my Android-toting colleagues to turn off the 3CX app each time after usage and re-open it. It sure is not convenient, but it works for now.

4. sizhou

I had a same problem. I use v1.3.4 and i checked recordings , the playback two way sound is there.

5. howardhyane

Same here, it worked for time being but again caused the same problem!! Tired resolving it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. equvocat

Hi Howard,

For my solution, I had to turn off the Android app *each* time after a connection was made, whether incoming or outgoing. Even if the connection was not picked up, it still counted as one connection.

Under my situation, if you picked up a call on the Android app and tried to transfer the call, the sound input will switch back to its own mic. Therefore, you can hear yourself on the Android phone at the receiver end but not hear the other party. If the other party uses an iPhone or a fixed line IP Phone (e.g. the Cisco phones), their voice does reach the Android device but they cannot hear the Android user.

Likewise, if you called another 3CX phone or Cisco phone, and the other user does a transfer the same one way audio issue occurs.

As such we did not recommend the usage of the call transfer function for our current Android users.

I believe that it has to do with either the Android app not releasing the outgoing voice call after the first call or that the switching of outgoing calls had a bug that causes the second call to pick up its own mic as the outgoing voice call instead.

There aren't too many Android users in my company, so I could not do further testing. If anyone else has a Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich phone or tablet it could perhaps help to narrow down the issue as to whether it is a bug at the Android OS level, the customisation level per phone vendor (e.g. Sense UI, Touchwiz, etc), or the individual hardware level.

If it helps, you may wish to try out using the Android smartphones released in 2011. Our only user on Xperia Arc S, Gingerbread has no reported issues currently.

7. Mama anrufen

Hallo, auch ich habe Probleme mit der Audioübertragung.
    Da ich mit meiner Schwiegermutter in der Mongolei vergünstigt telefonieren wollte habe ich mir vor kurzem dort bei g-mobil die Zugangsdaten für ein Jahr gekauft.
    Bei den Vertragsunterlagen wurde speziell auf die tolle Software 3CX hingewiesen. Die App habe ich mir dann im Internet heruntergeladen.

Nun habe ich ein Android-Handy mit der aktuellsten Software und diese funktioniert auch soweit, das ich meine Schwiegermutter klar und deutlich verstehen kann. Allerdings versteht mich keiner am andern Ende. Soll heißen sie kann nichts von dem was ichg sage hören. Auch keiner meiner Freunde kann mich verstehen!

Ich hoffe sehr das dies nur an einer Einstellung in der Software auf meinem Handy liegt. Bitte unterstützen sie mich das ich schnellstens mit der Schwiegermutter telefonieren kann.

Vielen Dank im voraus für ihre Unterstützung

8. equvocat

Thought I would post an update. Got a colleague who brought in a Samsung Galaxy Note on Android GingerBread (OS v2.3.x), calls works perfectly. This colleague has an update to ICS ready, but I've asked that the update be deferred to monitor the 3CX app.

My theory that the 3CX app is still not designed to handle voice protocols perfectly on Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich at the moment seems to have gained plausibility. There's now a possibility that if the developers can get their hand on *ANY* Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich device they can successfully test this out and resolve the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.