One Way Audio only on calls from VOIP provider

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by boffin, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boffin

I hope someone can point me in the correct direction

I am experimenting with a 2 user 7.1 3CX server.

Internal calls between extensions work correctly.
    Calls from the PSTN work correclty.
    Outgoing calls using a VOIP Gateway work correctly (note that the I am using a Generic Configuation, as the VOIP provider is not on the list)

HOWEVER, incoming calls from the VOIP provider have no incoming audio - but have outgoing audio

To help isolsate the problem, I have configured a SPA3012 from within the network, to register directly with the VOIP provider, and all calls have audio in both directions. This proves that the VOIP provider has things working correctly.

Obviously the problem is in the configuraion of the VOIP gateway on the 3CX Server. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    John

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

One way audio is usually an indication of closed ports. make sure that your router has all the nessisary ports forwared to the IP ofthe 3CX. The documentation gives a list of all that need to be forwared. When i first set up I only opened (thei just off the top of my head) ports 9000 to 9015. Mistake, i had to open up to 9049 as 3CX was set to use the whole range. I'm on holiday so I don't have access to all the port numbers, sorry.

3. boffin

Our network is as follows - ADSL router with firewall, and behind this is a 3CX server and a SPA3102 device, a couple of IP phones and POTS phone connected to the SPA3012.

I restate, calls between phones inside the network, or calls to/from the PSTN work 100%.

When we terminate calls from our VOIP provider directly on the SPA3012, these also work 100%.
    When we terminate calls from our VOIP provider on the 3CX, and pass them on to a phone within our network, there is no audio inbound, but only if the call is incoming - outgoing calls are 100%

To make the SPA3012 work there was no requirement to open any ports on the ADSL router. So when transfering the configuration to the 3CX, no changes were made on the ADSL router.

Therefore, I'm thinking is that it has to be something in the configuration of the VOIP GATEWAY on the 3CX, which is the cause of the problem, but I'm at a loss as to where to start looking.

John

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

3CX will work just fine behind a firewall with NO ports opened up if you don't intend on making voip calls anywhere but on your local network. In fact it will work as a PBX without an internet connection at all. The 3102 is on your local network, it just happens to have a phone line plugged into it to access local dialtone, calls still don't go out on your router. However, calls coming from and going to a VoIP provider do. So you are going to have to open up that firewall to allow the voice packets in.

5. boffin

I am sorry Leejor, I do not understand

Why I need to open ports on my firewall to recieve calls from my VOIP provider via my 3CX, but I DO NOT need to open any ports on my firewall if I was to recieve the same calls directly to my SPA3012 (bypassing the 3CX compleley)

In one instance there is one-way audio (with 3CX involved), and in the other there is 2way audio on the incoming calls (calls terminated directly on SPA3012)

It must be something in the gateway config of the 3CX.

6. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

3CXMediaServer.trace.log... or(at least)... 3CXMediaServer.log...

Thanks

P.S. http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you run the firewall test that is included with 3CX? I think it is in the Advanced settings.
    Without actually looking at how your router i set up I don;t know why the 3102 would work with your VoIP provider, was it set to use STUN? The manual lists all of the ports that should be forwarded to the IP that 3CX is using. If you can't open the ports then it is probably not going to work.

8. boffin

The VOIP provider advises that no inbound port opening is required nor any requirement to define a STUN server. The only requirement is to define their server as both the SIP server and proxy and provide the ID and Password. This is proven by the SPA3102 working behind the router(firewall) without opening any ports or the requirement to define a STUN server.

The VOIP provider advises that a permanent outbound connection is opened by the client (read my equipment either being the 3CX or the SPA), therefore inbound open ports are not required.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is your VoIP provider one of the ones that will work with 3CX? Some have issues. Check in other parts of the forum.
    It sounds like you just don't want to open any ports, but , if you want to see if that is the issue, you may want to just for a short test, then you'll know.

10. boffin

Firewall now set to DMZ mode (all ports open and pointing to 3CX). Firewall test run,with complete success.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well, now you know that it is a blocked port problem. You can try opening only the ports required by 3CX (forward them to the 3CX IP). Then close them one at a time until if fails again to see which one is the issue.

12. boffin

No... not solved. Firewall Tests OK with all ports open, but still one way audio on incoming VOIP Gateway calls

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Who is the VoIP provider you are using? Perhaps someone else has had experience (good or bad) with them and can provide some pointers.

14. shirosan

Hello,

I´m getting the same with the skyper gateway. if I dial direct from the skype, it´s normal, but through the 3cx system, I get only one way sound. In my case, the digital recepcionist doesnt sound, but this is working. If I call another extension even outo of the LAN, everything is normal.

Vista Home Premium
    Avira Antivir
    Comodo Firewall
    ADSL
    Linksys WRT54G router (with firewall, all ports open)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.