• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

One-way audio (send) behind small router

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTurnkey

Reaction score
I have little snag in completing the deployment of our new phone system. We have 7 phones deployed and working well on our network. I have a problem with 2 other phones (grandstream GXP2120s) connecting, though. One is set at a far end of the complex behind a small router (WRT54GL) and the other one is connected in the tech room which is behind another small router (same kind).

Issue 1: I have the other 7 phones all set with static IPs. They find the 3CX server and are in use and make great sounding calls.
These 2 phones wouldn't register this way. The only way they would register was to set to DHCP (giving them a 192.168.1.x address issued from these small wifi routers and not one of the static IPs [10.0.0.x] like the rest). I feel like this is a basic networking problem that I've solved many times, but for some reason am not figuring it out right away with these phones.

Issue 2: These two phones are also only sending audio (receiving extension can hear the audio), but aren't receiving any audio. I read something about having to set the STUN server in the Grandstream GUI, but am unclear about that. Also think it might be something to do with NAT traversal, but haven't found great documentation about that.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

Is there a reason for the other routers being in place? Yes, it sounds like a NAT issue.

can you put the phone in front of the secondary router and use pass thru in the phone to the router ?

Move the phone i front of the firewall than its definitely a firewall issue. Did you enable port forwarding on the the firewall on port 5060 so that the calls can get out to the WAN? Also if NAT is enabled on those firewalls, disable and attempt an call as well. Though these are just suggestions, post a log while attempting to make an outbound call from on of those handsets that will give more information on the problem.

How are the two additional "small" routers connected? Do they go out on an ISP (WAN port)? Or, are they connected to the internal network and only there to provide WiFi in their local area? If its the later then you may want to consider turning them into Access Points from the main network. If it's the former, then you will encounter any issues that a remote extension may encounter.

Have a look over...

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/
http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/
https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/troubleshooting-direct-remote-extension/

Thanks for the replies. I printed those articles and added them to "the Binder."

Here's what I did with the suggestions provided:

I examined the network and decided to change one of the routers to an access point, eliminating one of the issues.

For the second router, this was not an option (for security reasons). I followed the articles and, first and foremost, made firewall exceptions and port forwarding rules. We run a firewall device (pfSense), so was a little more involved, but once those rules were made (following the list of ports provided in the articles), and made in the router (just 3 ranges opened in small router - 5060, 5090, 9000-9049), everything worked. I was able to set the addresses back to what I had them statically, and it was all good.

Thanks,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaayb512
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.