• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

One Way Audio When Calling from Remote Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

drotkopf

Reaction score
Hi,

I just setup a new 3CX v7 system and I installed a remote Polycom extension without using the PC client/tunnel, etc. It registers OK and I can place a call to an extension that is local to the 3CX server. It rings, the user picks up and he can hear me but I don't have any audio from him.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Have you run the firewall checker?

Forwarded the ports from external to the 3CX machine?

What are you running 3CX on?

Polycoms, at least in my past will not work. They do not as of yet & I emprise yet offer a STUN feature. Be certain to research this & see if you can get a firmware upgrade that will offer this feature. They will work within your LAN but not as a Remote Phone. Please let us know what you discover.........

Hi,

Can't run the firewal checker. Error saying it can't open C:\program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Bin\3CXFWChecker.dll, but the file is there with rights for everyone...

Thanks,

Dan

Hi,

I upgraded to the latest v7 release and the firewall checker ran ok. All tests passed.

In our office LAN firewall I forwarded ports 5000-9049 to the XP Pro PC running 3CX.

Thanks,

Dan

Another piece of info... an internal extension CAN'T dial an external extension, meaning, my external extension never rings.

Do you think it might be my home firewall? Any guidelines on how to setup Wireshark on both sides for this?

Thanks.

Dan

Hi Dan

Can you test both ends with the 3CX VOIP client to make sure the problem is specific to the Polycom phones and not the firewalls or 3CX configuration?

Hi,

Using the 3CX VOIP client I get 1 way audio... but the other way now.

Also insteresting, since I upgraded to the latest v7 release, now my external polycom phone doesn't even register. I get a 407 proxy authentication required message sent from the 3CX system in response to INVITE by my external polycom phone. I don't even have a proxy defined!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi, Dan

yesterday you said: "I just setup a new 3CX v7 system and I installed a remote Polycom extension without using the PC client/tunnel, etc. It registers OK"
today: "since I upgraded to the latest v7 release, now my external polycom phone doesn't even register. I get a 407 proxy authentication"

If you updated today over previous yesterday' install, then be sure you have done a restore operation to restore your Polycom settings - otherwise, it IS unregistered, except only you recreated its extension.
Also, if you updated today, be sure you re-applied license.

vali

P.S Hope I correctly understand the "scenario"

Hi Vali,

No, the sequence of events is:

2 days ago: Installed v7, setup remote Polycom, registers ok, placed call, rings, user picks up, but 1 way audio: local user hears remote user but remote user does not hear local user
yesterday: a) Upgraded to latest release.
yesterday: b) I wanted to test also the other way around: local user dialing extension of remote user. It didn't even register or ring. (It didn't occur to me to test remote to local)
today: a) I set up Wireshark on both sides, and I saw the 407 proxy authentication messages. I check 3CX logs (verbose) - nothing. I see extension status: remote - not registered.
today: b) You mention about license. Good catch: I re-enter license, restart. But still phone doesn't register: 407 proxy authentication messages.

Today also I placed a call using the SW phone and it registers and I can place a call but I have one way audio: remote hears local but local doesn't hear remote.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi again

I'm trying to help on which I know: if a remote phone could not hear a local one, the most appropriate test the remote can do is to dial 999 - the DR. If it does not hear the DR, then it means the remote tries to connect WITHOUT using Stun server, and should reconfigure its connection accordingly, using stun.

Then, if a local phone does not hear a remote phone, put the local to dial 999. If it does not hear it, that means it tries to connect BY USING Stun server, so it should reconfigure its connection accordingly, without using stun.

Of course, it's a good ideea to check - don't laugh - audio devices involved: the playback for the receiver, the microfon for the sender: if is the proper audio device set (I mean, if you listen on your computer be sure you haven't set as playback your headphones device) if the microfone - on recording - is selected and set to an acceptable level.

vali

Hi Vali,

I did test the microphone and audio on my PC.
My main issue now, though, is the 407 proxy authentication messages. Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Dan

drotkopf said:
Hi Vali,

I did test the microphone and audio on my PC.
My main issue now, though, is the 407 proxy authentication messages. Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Dan
Hi, Dan

When I have such kind of problem and I'm sure the extension number, ID and pass I've set on the phone are OK (these are responsible for such kind of message), I try to connect using another phone with same authentication data. If the second one fails also, then I start to check from PBX - create a new test extension and then connect phones to this new one. If still the same error, I try to check PSTN lines if it's the case. Other things I don't have in my mind right now leading to a 407... However, any registration sequence is like this:
- for success: REGISTER, 407, REGISTER, 200
- for failure: REGISTER, 407, REGISTER, 403 (invalid id/pass) or REGISTER, 407, REGISTER, 404 (invalid extension)
The same for INVITE and SUBSCRIBE

vali

drotkopf said:
Hi,

I just setup a new 3CX v7 system and I installed a remote Polycom extension without using the PC client/tunnel, etc. It registers OK and I can place a call to an extension that is local to the 3CX server. It rings, the user picks up and he can hear me but I don't have any audio from him.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Without logs it is almost impossible to resolve your problem because nobody has input to be able to help you, sorry.
"verbose" version of 3CXMediaserver.trace.log may provide some information about problems related to one way audio.
"verbose" version of 3CXPhoneSystem.trace.log may provide some information about problems related to registration.

Thanks

Hi Stepan,

Nothing show in the 3cx system logs, even though I set them at verbose.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi

At this stage to be able to review further we woudl recommend that you open a support ticket with the Verbose logs and capture of such a call so that we may review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.