One way communication - strange problem - please suggest

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by vinzer, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinzer

Good day,

We are in process of evaluation 3CX system for our office. Recently after installation of the system we got the problem here:

Office has a dedicated server machine where 3CX is running. Inside the office we have 6-10 extensions which seems to work OK for now. We can call from one to another extensions with no problems. Also we have few persons who always work from home (sales). We decided to install extensions for them too. After we installed the first extension for the first remote user we got the following strange problem:

Extension 303 is inside the office, extension 317 is remote (over internet). When extension 303 (from office) calls to extension 317 (remote) everything is perfect - we can both hear eachother. When extension 317 (remote) calls to extension 303 (or any other extension in the office) than remote extension (317) can hear what internal extension (303) speak to him, but the office extension (303) can not hear external (317) one. Kind of one way communication.

In our office on firewall ports 5060 and 9000-9049 are opened and pointed to the 3CX server machine. On remote end no single port is opened on firewall, and the phone for remote extension connected directly to the firewall. The model of the phone used for remote extension is Linksys Sipura SPA 841.
    Can someone tell me please if there is some resolution for this issue ? Also maybe some ports needs to be opened on the remote's extension firewall ?

This is very important for us since we plan to connect few more remote extensions which are in different cities but all have high speed internet.

Thank you very much for any help.

Vlad

2. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Vlad,
    Did you read this(http://www.3cx.com/forums/forum-rules-read-to-get-answers-93.html) post?
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vinzer

Hello,

Yes, I did read forum rules.
    I checked all Installation instructions and manuals for the phones used.
    I will post a Server Status Log in a few hours as well.
    If my problem has been described somewhere already please point me there and I will be happy to read more about it.
    Thank you,
    Vlad

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would think that since voice packets aren't reaching the internal extension that it is a problem with the firewall at the 3CX end. You don't say what make/type it is. It could be the type of router/firewall that will fail even with the correct ports open as there are other ports used as well, for voice, that many routers/firewalls don't require you forward them. If you have access to another router, to test with, perhaps a second public IP address,i would try you setup with that, just to confirm. There could be a setting in the firewall that need to be changed to allow the voice packets.

5. vinzer

The router/firevall we use is D-Link DIR 635.
    Ports 5060, 5090 and 9000-9049 are forwarded to the internal IP address of the 3CX Server machine.
    How should that setting look like for forwardig of the voice packets ?
    Also why, in case if internal extension 303 calls to external extension 317 everything is OK with the sound ?

Thank you for your help.
    Vlad

6. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Can you please provide a log, verify the Windows Firewall settings, and describe the external network topology.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. vinzer

I was able to resolve this issue.
    What I did was: in Router's settings under ADVANCED, Firewall Settings I unchecked SIP checkmark. By default it has been checked and it should be checked in order to provide proper SIP functionality, but for some reason only when I unchecked it everything started to work properly.
    Router model is D-Link DIR-635.
    Thank you for your help.

8. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

"ALG" was discussed few times on this forum. You can find it using "search".
    PBX logs (there is a set of logs, it is not only information provided by "Management console") also provide some hints. In case of "audio" problems it is good to provide clean logs of media server in verbose mode.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.