Only one-way operation between extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JetsonRING, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsonRING

I am using the free Windows 3CX PBX, trying it out at home. I have successfully registered a Cisco SPA504G phone (wired to LAN) and my T-Mobile Google G2 (HTC) phone running the 3CX mobile app (connected to the LAN via WiFi). When I dial the extension for the Cisco (wired) phone from my smartphone, the Cisco phone rings, but when I answer it, I cannot hear any voice from the smartphone in the earpiece of the Cisco, even though I can hear voice in the earpiece of the smartphone from the Cisco. The really weird thing is, if I dial the extension for my smartphone from the Cisco phone I get an immediate fast-busy and no connection. This is all happening on the same LAN ands in the same room. :cry: Any ideas?

2. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Check the phones section in the 3CX interface, it should tell you what IP and port the two extensions are registering on.

From what you say I suspect one of the phones may be using your external router IP rather than its own local IP. If they are working correctly both should have IP's in the same range as the server, example :-

Server (192.168.1.1).

Cisco Phone (192.168.1.10.

Smart Phone (192.168.1.15)

If not then audio sent via the router, or a call signal sent via the router may be well fail. If one is registering with a different IP then check the network setting on that extension, stun etc. As your smart phone is not accepting a call that is the most likely one that registering incorrectly.

If you have a PC available you could also install 3CX Phone just test your settings.

3. JetsonRING

I only have two extensions set up. A 3CX call center server is on 192.168.1.7 (static IP), the cisco phone is on 192.168.1.100 (ext. 100) (static IP) and I have a 3CX soft-phone on the same box as the 3CX server (192.168.1.7) (ext. 101). The (router) gateway is 192.168.1.1.

If I call the cisco from the 3cx soft-phone, the cisco rings. But if I try to dial the soft-phone from the cisco, after the first dialed digit (1) the cisco goes to fast busy.

4. active5

Did you auto provision the Cisco SPA504 or manually configure it?

The softphone on the server? check for ip and port conflicts!
    Server at 92.168.1.7:5060 and softphone at 192.168.1.7:5060

Are you running the client tunnel proxy on the server?
    You can't run the server tunnel and the client tunnel proxy on the server unless there is a configuration change I'm not aware of.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

As you can only enter one digit in the Cisco phone before it goes busy it sounds like a dial plan problem with the phone. In the 3CX logs you should be able to see the call being made. Is it being made to extension number (1). This would suggest the phone is making the call before you have finished entering the number.

The phone should wait until you have dialed 1 - 0 - 0 then send the call the call extension 100, its looks like you are sending (1) as soon as it entered and therefore dialing extension 1 which does not exist.

6. JetsonRING

Just installed the 3CX call system and didn't configure tunneling as this is strictly an internal system not connected to anything outside. Just trying to learn the system.
    The cisco phone is registered on the system and running its latest firmware. The softphone calls the cisco just fine but the cisco can't call either of the two extensions which are the softphone and my android phone running 3CX mobile. The android and the softphone dial each other just fine also. The android can also call the cisco. The cisco just can't call anything. I'm trying to dial extension 102, (the android phone) but after dialing first digit (1) when I attempt second digit cisco phone fails to fast busy and says "invalid number".) Here is the log detail:

16:06:21.155 [CM503020]: Normal call termination. Reason: Not found
    16:06:21.154 [CM503016]: Call(7): Attempt to reach <sip:1@192.168.1.7> failed. Reason: Not Found
    16:06:21.154 [CM503014]: Call(7): No known route to target: <sip:1@192.168.1.7>
    16:06:21.152 [CM503010]: Making route(s) to <sip:1@192.168.1.7>
    16:06:21.141 [CM505001]: Ext.100: Device info: Device Identified: [Man: Cisco;Mod: SPA Series;Rev: General] Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, unable-no-sdp, no-recvonly] UserAgent: [Cisco/SPA504G-7.5.1a] PBX contact: [sip:100@192.168.1.7:5060]
    16:06:21.132 [CM503001]: Call(7): Incoming call from Ext.100 to <sip:1@192.168.1.7>

Since I am new to this I can't make head or tail from these entries. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

7. JetsonRING

OK, I have narrowed it down to the dial plan setting on the cisco phone. I had it set to "X*" (per the 3CX configuration guide for the SPA504G) I set the cisco phone's dial plan to "xxx*" and can now dial 3 digits. However the call still does not go through.

8. JetsonRING

Jeez, maybe I'm an idiot or maybe the configuration guide needs to be corrected. OK, I mentioned that I changed the cisci phone's dial plan to "xxx*" and it dialed but the call would not go through. Well I removed the asterisk (*) and just set the dial plan to "xxx". The cisco phone can now dial. Your earlier comment about the length of my dial string got me thinking about it Thanks.

OK, now that problem is solved so, anyone got any ideas about why I can hear myself on my android phone when I talk into the cisco but cannot hear my voice in the cisco when I talk into my android? I also cannot hear my voice in the soft-phone when I talk into my android. It is not muted. I had the same trouble on my boss' PBX system. I could hear him on my android but he couldn't hear me on his extension. Thanks for any help.

9. JetsonRING

It seems like the 3CX mobile app just turns of my android phone's microphone. I have turned the gain up as far as it will go in the audio settings but neither the softphone nor the cisco can hear ny voice when I talk into the android phone. Audio in the other direction is fine. I can hear voice in the android phone from both the smartphone and the cisco phone but neither the cisco not the softphone can hear me from the android. The android is an (HTC) T-Mobile "Google" G2.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Maybe, or maybe not. One way to confirm this, and that it's not the voice packets not getting through, is to press some digit keys on the set once a call is connected. If it's just the mic that is muted or cut off, then you won't hear the DTMF tones on the Cisco set. If it is a problem with the voice packets not passing though, then you shouldn't hear the tones.

You are probably going to have to do some work on the Cisco set dialplan unless you only expect to dial 3 digit numbers.

http://www.toao.net/108-linksys-dial-plan-tips

11. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

16:06:21.132 [CM503001]: Call(7): Incoming call from Ext.100 to <sip:1@192.168.1.7>

This line in you PBX tells you that it had incoming call from ext 100 to ext 1 @ your PBX. As extension 1does not exist it fails, as I suggested in my earlier post a failure in the Cisco dial plan.

I don't have cisco phone but a Linksys ATA dial plan is (xx.) and I suspect Cisco and Linksys would use the same.

I addition "Interdigit Short Timer" is important on Linksys. In linksys it is set to "3" as standard, if it is an option on your phone set it to the same.

This tells the phone - (xx.) - Send the number as dialed and - Interdigit Short Timer (3) wait for 3 seconds after a digit is dialed for the next one and if no further digit is entered send the number that has been dialed so far.

12. JetsonRING

The dialing is working fine, now. I simply took the default Cisco phone dial plan and added "xxx" and a vertical hash mark (my keyboard won't make it I needed to cut & paste) to the beginning of it. The extensions now dial each other just fine and I think your comment about the inter-digit delay is valid as the phone waits about 3 seconds after I dial the 3rd digit to before it actually dials another extension. Thanks.

13. JetsonRING

Regarding the suggestion that I try pressing keypad buttons while connected via the android phone, great suggestion! In fact I can hear the DTMF tones just fine on the Cisco phone as I dial them on the android phone while connected, I just cannot hear my voice. However if I talk into the Cisco phone's handset, I CAN hear my voice in the earpiece of the android phone.

Since the android app-s echo-cancellation function does not seem to work (separate issue) I can hear echoes of my voice in the earpiece of the android phone when I speak into it, so I know the mic is in fact, working, not to mention that it works fine as a cell-phone. It really only seems to be malfunctioning in a one-way fashion. I just can't hear my voice on any other extension when I speak into the android.

14. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Try an echo test on each phone to check its operation, I changed the number on the systems I manage but 1 think the default *777 (Someone please correct me if I am wrong with *777)

For a correctly functioning extension you should hear yourself talking back to confirm two way audio.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you change it to xxxS0 (that's a zero), it will send the digits immediately after the third one. This can be done with any string in the dial plan. If you will also be adding outside numbers, you may wish to specify the first digits of the extension (3 digit) portion or you will never be able to dial anything longer than 3 digits. Something like [2378]xxSo depending on your extension numbering range and how you plan to dial outside numbers.

If you wish to dial * (star) codes, you will have to specify that as well. If it isn't in the dialplan, you won't be able to dial it.

16. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Is there no way to have simple "Send What You Dial" plan for the phone and let 3CX do the rest through its dial plan.

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I believe that if you put in (x.) and the hit # after you've dialled all digits (or wait for the timeout), then you can dial anything you wish. The dial plan allows the set to behave the same as an analogue set. Most users will only dial certain strings of digits. In most cases these can be incorporated into the dialplan. Of course, it can make for a complicated, and long plan, but once you've created it, it should rarely require a modification.

There are many sites that give examples of creating Linksys/Cisco dial plans, and there are a lot of features that can be incorporated such as digit manipulation.

18. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

So the liksys and cisco dial plans are the same then ?

19. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, it started off as Sipura (which made ATA's), which rolled into Linksys, which was swallowed by Cisco.

20. JetsonRING

:mrgreen: Thanks for the info about modifying the string to eliminate the delay and about specifying the extension 1st digit. The first section of my string is now "[1]xxS0" and the phone dials immediately after dialing the 3 digit extension number (all of which are in the "1xx" range). Since this is currently an internal system only with no outside connections (I only installed it to see how easy it was to learn) I currently do not have any "outside" dial plan other that the default Cisco string which is currently:

([1]xxS0|*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

I am slowly learning dial plan syntax. The above was the default string which I appended by adding the part before the first vertical hash mark. As far as I can determine, this string seems to say "you can dial pretty much anything inside the USA".

Thanks again for your advice. C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.