OpenSky Skype Gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ScottHilleque, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottHilleque

Gizmo5 has a new SIP -to-Skype interface called OpenSky that looks like a more robust solution than SipToSys. I've been able to connect directly through the OpenSky gateway, but haven't had any luck setting it up as a Voip Provider in 3CX. Has anyone else tried this, hopefully with a bit more success?

2. igor.snezhko

igor.snezhko Active Member

http://wiki.3cx.com/Home/supported-gateways/skype-to-3cx
    http://wiki.3cx.com/Home/supported-gateways/skype-to-3cx-part2

3. ScottHilleque

Thanks Igor, I had tried SipTheeSkype in the past, but OpenSky looks like a much more robust long term solution. SipTheeSkype basically runs Skype in a user session and feeds it the dialing commands and audio. It's an interesting work around, but not something I would put into a production environment.

OpenSky, though not free ($20/yr), looks like it would be a more reliable gateway since it does conversion at the protocol layer. Also, it doesn't require the loading of a bunch of bloated Skype clients on my VOIP server.

4. ScottHilleque

Starting to have a bit of success with outgoing calls at least. I have to setup aliases in OpenSky for all the Skype users I want to call, but its a starting point.

Here is what I've come up with so far:

Under Voip Provider, add a new "Generic Voip Provider" and use the following settings:

Once created, click on the new provider and verify the general tab looks like above. Note "External Number" is your gizmo5 account without the hyphens but "Authentication ID" has them.

Set up the Advanced tab as follows:

Outbound Parameters, Inbound Parameters, and DID are left as defaults (this will probably evolve as I work on incoming calls). Click on the port record (below the provider) and check the authentication and routing options:

Setup the aliases you want to call from your "My" page at Gizmo5.com:

Back in 3CX, create new outbound rules to dial the aliases:

This is still VERY MUCH a work in progress as I hope to connect the PBX directly to OpenSky instead of the sipphone proxy, but that might not be possible until Gizmo fleshes out the service some more (if ever).

Attached Files:

5. igor.snezhko

igor.snezhko Active Member

Sound good, but for REAL independence from payments, proxies, tariffs, etc. the best way is to use SIPTheeSkype. This is one-point, complete solution that provide maximum quality and performance.
    I simply cannot understand why to pay money, if you can use free, on-premise tool.
    When Skype will establish FREE, open, its own SIP - to - Skype gateway, I will be the first that take it.

6. ScottHilleque

I can understand why many users are perfectly happy with SIPTheeSkype, but it isn't a solution I am comfortable putting into a production environment. Also, the fact that it is free may be important to hobbyists and very small businesses, but it simply isn't a significant factor for me when compared to the possibility of a real sip-skype gateway for only $20/year.

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

This looks very interesting and we are looking into this as well. Do not hesitate to post issues and questions here so we may follow up, provide input.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kevin

kevin Member

Hi there

I have been able to make this work for outbound calls to Skype IDs, so I should be able to attach a template file for you to play around with over the coming days...

However, as far as I can see, there is no way to use this service to allow the PBX to RECEIVE Skype calls. The SIPtoSIS/SIPtheeSkype solution allows bi-directional calls.

Regards

Kevin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I tried and failed in the past to get SipPhone to work as one of my voip trunks on the 3CX . I had read that it would not work (they weren't allowing it). are you able to get a trunk to register with them?

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I tried to get SipPhone working (again) on 3CX, but it fails with a "Not Authorized" message. And, yes, the user name and password work just fine on any other SIP device. So, I'm assuming that they are blocking a connection to a 3CX board. that was what i had come across on another forum which led me to give up on them.

11. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

Read this topic, it's from december 2007 http://www.3cx.com/forums/help-with-sipphone-com-not-registering-3254.html

Regards
    vali

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.