• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Option for 3CX Not to Run in the Background ***SOLVED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

miroesq

Reaction score
I purchased Bria for the iPhone, but am having a bit of trouble with it, so I decided to try 3CX since it was free. So far, I think it is really good although I keep getting messages that I lost registration with the server, but that is not my issue.

My issue is that with Bria, you have the option to either run the app in the background, which consumes a lot more power or not run it in the background, which saves a lot more power. The reason you would want to run the app in the background is if you are using UDP as the sip transport and you want to be able to receive inbound calls when the app is not in the foreground. This is not necessary if you are using TCP as the sip transport.

I would like to use 3CX, but am concerned about battery life so will only do so if it does not run in the background, but can still receive incoming calls through TCP transport.

I see the option in 3CX to turn TCP transport on or off. But what I don't know is if that setting also dictates whether the app runs in the background or not. I don't even know if 3CX has the option to either run in the background or not.

Any clarification of the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Device Info
-------------------------------------------------------
Phone Model: iPhone
Generation: 5
Firmware Version: 6.1
Jailbreak: YES
Cydia Installed: YES

Re: Option for 3CX to Not Run in the Background

I just answered my own question using Top.

3CX is always running in the background regardless whether the TCP transport is turned on or off. On my iPhone 5, it is constantly consuming 1.2% of my cpu. This is extremely high when compared to Bria when also set to run in the background.

To give you an idea, when backgrounding is enabled on Bria, it uses 0.1% once every 10 seconds and when backgrounding is disabled, it uses 0% until a call comes through.

Can't really complain about the 3CX app as not only is it a pretty good product, but moreover it's FREE.

However, if it is possible to make a feature suggestion to the 3CX team, I would like to suggest to incorporate a do not run in background feature as battery life is already terrible on iPhones as well as Androids and we need all the efficiency we can get.

Maybe Kevin, the 3CX staff or StefanW can chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mendy E
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.