Option to exclude mobile apps from ring group

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by NickR, Mar 1, 2017.

Option to exclude mobile apps from ring group 5 5 21votes
5/5, 21 votes

1. NickR

With branch offices that have a ring group to ring all the phones in that office, it would be incredibly useful to be able to exclude iOS/Android apps from ringing in this ring group, without having to set them up as completely separate extensions.

A use case for this:

A company with many offices distributed across the country, consisting of mainly engineers or mobile sales, who all have their own extension. They have phones in the office that are part of a ring group so that anyone can pick up calls on the main line for that location when they are physically there. As they aren't always in the office however, it is necessary to limit the external calls on the main number from ringing their mobiles, but still ring when their extension or DDI is called directly.

2. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NickR

I apologise I perhaps didn't elaborate enough about the issue.

At the moment the extensions are currently set up with the secondary available status as 'On Site' which doesn't accept calls from call groups, this accomplishes the basic necessity of not inundating the person with external calls whilst on site. More than one client however, has requested for the option to specify per extension to only ring the mobile app attached to the extension on direct calls (internal and DDI) and never from call groups.

Their reasoning behind this is, if they are in the office at their desk they will most likely want to answer the call with their desk phone and not their mobile, and currently when the entire office is present every desk phone along with their accompanying mobile apps ring (with their slight push notification delays) which is unnecessary.

The ideal scenario as put forward from one of the clients:

External calls on main number -> Ring group -> Only desk phones ring
    Internal calls/transferring external calls -> Extension number/ddi -> Desk phone and mobile app ring

The only way (I believe, and could be completely wrong) this scenario can work is by having the mobile apps on a different extension and having the desk phone extensions forward to the mobile app extension if unanswered. Which adds either the ringing delay or the requirement of trying to remember two extension numbers for the same person.

Whereas this can simply be solved (although I'm sure from a technical perspective not so simple) to, per extension, ignore ring group calls on the mobile app.

davidsteelerose likes this.
  4. techclarity

We just had two new clients ask us for this recently.

5. avsi

I am also looking for a solution to this.

I've noticed that when a ring group pushes to a few clients and desktop phones the clients rarely are able to pickup sucsessfully.

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I know this is not the solution you are looking for but why not Exit-ignore push when in the office so the mobile device does not ring? When users leave the office just re open the app so push can come through.

davidsteelerose likes this.
  7. davidsteelerose

So a different request would be Implement Exit and ignore push on an iPhone.

But I really like and need the option to exclude moblie apps from ring group per extension if possible.

Vote Up!!!!

#7 davidsteelerose, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Silly English Kniggit likes this.
  8. Nathan Boyd

Brilliant idea. Upvoted.

9. RoyalM

Has this been implemented or what’s the latest best practice on accomplishing this?

10. Nathan Boyd

I realize that this is an old message, but the Exit-Ignore Push may be a manual option on Android, but doesn't exist on iPhone, unless that option is coming down the pipe. @YiannisH_3CX