Option to Handle Calls that End Up in Disabled Voicemail

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Jono, Jan 12, 2018.

Option to Handle Calls that End Up in Disabled Voicemail 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Jono

Jun 29, 2013
    Currently (as far as I can tell), there's no system-wide option to handle calls that end up in a disabled voicemail. When a call gets routed to a voicemail that is disabled, the caller is told that the voicemail is disabled and then the call ends abruptly.

Besides being a bit rude, it seems that this action is unnecessary. It would be a lot better experience for the caller if they are told that the extension is disabled (or mailbox full, etc.) and then routed back to a digital receptionist or somewhere else, some route of the admin's choice.

I think that would be a much cleaner way to handle such dead end calls without losing the caller. (This system-wide option could be overridden in each extension, perhaps.)

The way we're handling this now is that we have to do whatever we can to keep calls from ever going to a disabled voicemail. We go into the extension with the disabled voicemail and set all of the statuses to forward to a digital receptionist instead of voicemail. This is less than ideal for a few reasons:
    1. It's a lot of configuring for each such extension.
      • 4 settings for each Available status in the extension
      • 2 settings for each of the other statuses in the extension
    2. The caller is not told that the voicemail is unavailable; they are just re-routed and they do not know why.
    3. Someone can still forward a call directly to the disabled voicemail causing the caller to be abruptly disconnected.
    If there were a system setting that allows the admin to set what to do with dead end calls, these issues can be avoided. Perhaps a system message tells the caller what's wrong "I'm sorry, this extension's voicemail is disabled." and then the selected routing takes place, to a digital receptionist, for example.

The main idea is to not lose calls when possible.