Out bound rule for extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by t4mack, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t4mack

Hello, I am currently having issue with my outbound rules. Here it my scenario.

I have an extension that go directly to a cell phone. When a call goes to that extension it is forwarded to that cell phone. This works. The problem is that I want the call to go out using the PSTN trunk instead of VOIP trunk. I also have a 7 digit rule that states that every call going out that has 7 digits must use VOIP trunk and then the PSTN trunk if the VOIP trunk fails. Any help would be highly appreciated.

2. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Configure fallback devices in outbound rule.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A simple outbound rule is fine if you only have one trunk group. You don't have to worry about stripping or adding digits, you just send out what you dial. When you have two or more trunks, and you want to specify where calls will go, either based on the extension dialing them or simply because you want that particular call to route over a particular trunk, then you need to make your outbound rules a bit more complicated by adding an access digit, or digits.

Most business situations will use 9 as the access digit (except perhaps in New Zealand where they will use 1). If you use 9+ 7 digits then you can specify that those calls will go out over your VoIP trunk, with , perhaps, the PSTN gateway as a second choice. You can then create another set out rules using 8+ as an access digit, this one will point calls to the PSTN trunk group only. Of course, in the rules you now have to strip off the first digit(the 8 or 9) before sending them out.

Adding an access digit gives you a lot more flexibility in directing your calls to a particular trunk group.

4. t4mack

Thanks for the replies. I understand what you guys are trying to say. And i have everything configured correctly. I think the problem is that it's looking at previous rules and routing based on those rules first. I haven't tested it yet, but I think I have to reorder the outbound rules. Then make another test call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.