Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Outbound Caller ID affects inbound calls to SIP ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Bob Denny, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Denny

    Bob Denny New Member

    Feb 21, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Here's an odd one. I set up an extension to serve as a relay to our IVR for inbound direct SIP calls (not thru a provider) to our 3CX. I have several extensions already answering direct-in SIP calls successfully. The SIP addresses for these are sipid@xyz.com, where sipid is the SIP ID as set on the extension's Other tab, for example sip:bozo@xxx.com for an extension where the SIP ID is 'bozo'. Note: it is an old wives' tale that the SIP ID must be set to the extension number.

    So I thought, this'll be easy. It wasn't. All I got was the famous unrecognized call error. For grins I changed the SIP ID to = the extension number and it worked! But I have 4 other extensions that have "real" SIP IDs and they work!

    It turned out that the cause of the errors was the Outbound Caller ID, which I had set to an alpha string instead of a number. Why I don't know since that extension will never place an outboun d call... but I did. After experimenting with the Outbound Caller ID I found that you can put just about anything in it except a hyphen (and probably other punctuation). My original Outbound Caller ID had a '-' in it.

    I'm reporting this because it may be the cause of some of the assertions about the SIP ID needing to be equal to the extension number, and because it seems like a bug that the Outbound Caller ID contents affects the success of direct inbound SIP calls to the extensions SIP ID.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.