Outbound caller ID for 911 (emergency) calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jholcombe, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jholcombe

I have two offices about three blocks apart that both share the same inbound phone # ie. 1234567890. Normally I want the caller ID from either site to show 1234567890. For emergency calls, since there are two sites set up, I have another DID set up with a SIP provider registered to the other site. So I have two DID's total. One is (example) 1234567890. The other is (example) 1234567809. How can I make the caller ID different just for emergency calls, so the other site outbound caller ID would be 1234567809 if they dial 911? This is so the 911 operator would have the proper address info via e911.

Thank you,

--John

2. dig1234

Does the voip provider know that the other site's DID is at another address?
    If so I'm thinking you should create another trunk in 3cx, set it with the other site's DID for outbound caller ID then create an outbound rule for 911 when dialed from extensions at the other site. Maybe someone has another idea...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Digis idea should work fine as far as I can tell... just ensure the address is set with the provider.

Then call 911.
    Announce that it is not an emergency and that you are testing 911 services from a new phone system.
    Have the 911 operator verify the phone number you are calling from to make sure they are seeing the correct CID info.
    Have the 911 operator verify the address of the location you are dialing from.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Can you create a second trunk group that registers to the same provider (same account info)? I haven't tried that recently but recall some issues, in the past, when attempting to do so (it may have changed in more recent 3CX versions). If all else failed, you could go the route of a single PSTN line (using a gateway) for the location not registered against the DID in the 911 database. A PSTN fax line would do.

5. jholcombe

leejor - That is an excellent idea (using the same SIP credentials). Then I could force the outboundcallerid to be the correct 911 DID every time a user dials 911. Unfortunately, 3CX throws an error. If the "External Number" is the same, it will error because there is a duplicate external number. If the Authentication ID is the same as another, it will error because of that. I wonder if there is actually a reason for this error? I could use a different external number, but the authentication ID needs to be the same. Maybe I can get around this using IP authentication. In the mean time, it looks like the PSTN fax line option is unfortunately the way to go for now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.