Outbound Caller ID name

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Napocensis, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Napocensis

Hi,
    I thought it would be a fairly straight forward setting, but I just can't figure it out:
    How can I set the outgoing Caller ID NAME to match the name from the extension settings? I still have the Grandstream UCM and on that device the Caller ID name and number are simply taken from the extension settings.
    Thanks.

2. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

You're talking about outgoing calls outside the pbx? That would be in the sip trunk outbound settings. It varies from carrier to carrier but it'll be one of the "from:displayname" settings and youll want the value that takes the caller ID from the extension.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Napocensis

Yes, Jason, outgoing calls outside the pbx. The calls between extensions do display the Caller Name.
    I had tried all the options under Outbound Parameters/To: Display Name. The default one was "Outbound caller ID taken from Extension settings in management console".
    None of the options display the Caller Name. To my surprise, at the receiving end there were NO changes on how the Caller ID was shown: it had for both Name and Number the value from the "Outbound Caller ID" in the extension management.

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you wish the outbound caller id to be taker from extension settings then you need to populate the field outbound caller Id which is located under the extension settings general. That is the value specified in the outbound parameters of the trunk. Of course you need to contact with your provider to let you know in which sip field this value must be sent and if the accept these changes in the first place. Without confirmation from the provider i wouldn't make any changes in the outbound parameters of the trunk because this might break outbound calls

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

To clarify, the called party is getting a name, which is from (entered) where? The statement above sounds as if it is coming from the name ,associated with the extension parameters.

6. Napocensis

YiannisH, I tried to find out from the SIP provider (quite reputable one from the land of leejor) about the sip field, but I do not think I will get a clear answer. I was, in fact, sent back to 3CX... Maybe if you could give a few example of the SIP field where the Name could be sent/come through, it may ring a bell and they could find the right one.

Leejor, I was not very clear in my statement you quoted. What I meant to say that at the receiving end of the call, instead of seeing a Name and Number, the callee would see the Caller ID Number twice. At least that was my impression. When I called somebody else recently from my 3CX, they said the Name was not displayed, but only the number.

To reiterate, the callee never gets to see a Name. I tried to put a Name in the "Outbound Caller ID" under extension management, but it does not like letters, although it will accept them. However, in this case, the callee will see that "Anonymous" is calling, and will not see a number either.

7. Napocensis

Capture.JPG
    Here is a screenshot of the extension settings.

8. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

So you want to pass the extension name to the callee.
    If you populate the value From.Display Name in the outbound parameters of the trunk with the value "CallerName" caller's name(default: From >Display name) the name of the extension will be send in the invite to the provider. A wireshark capture on the PBX machine will help you identify that. The issue is that the provider may not read this info from that SIP field and might not pass it along. The best way to see what the PBX is sending is through wireshark. From there on the provider should pass the info along or let you know where they need to see the info. Your provide should also support this as many don't.

9. biba

I want to add to this issue. I'm having same issue in SIP Trunk outbound parameter. I want Caller ID Number assigned in the extension to go out. What parameter I should set in order for end user to see my number which I would like him to see. For example, I've extension 1000, under Outbound Caller ID in Extension setting I want to display 123457689 as an outbound caller ID, where in the SIP Trunk's outbound parameter I should choose to get this done?

Thanks,

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sending a number isn't a guarantee, some provider allow it, some don't. Some countries forbid it altogether. Some allow the number, but not the name. If you have a number set to be displayed, in the extension settings, and it's not working, and you have confirmed with your provider that they allow it, then you may have to make some changes in the trunk outbound options. Make note of the original settings as it is easy to change things and create new problems that don't present themselves intermediately.

If you search through the posts you will come across a number of posts that list some of the options to try changing. https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/outbound-caller-id.41241/

11. YiannisH_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Also even if the provider does accept it you need to know in which SIP field they want this info presented. Providers use different SIP fields to read and present information so this is a question for your provider to answer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.