Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Outbound Caller ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ZenMasta, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

How can I change what my outbound caller id is?
    When I call a customer I want the CID to display as our company name and or toll free number instead of the local number.

I checked the box that says reformat caller id, skipped down to the outbound section, in the box where it says CID section will be set as. I tried changing this to a number or a word. It didn't seem to make any difference.

2. AdgTech

I don't think 3CX is capable of controlling the outbound name, at least I've never found an option.

For the outbound number, you can set it on the individual extensions via Extensions | <number> | Other | Outbound Caller ID
    If you're using a gateway, you'll also want to set it in the Gateway Port via | PSTN Devices | <gateway> | <Virtual Port> | Outbound Caller ID under "Other Options". From my understanding, this is a "blanket" setting that takes place when it's not set on the individual extension.

I don't have a VoIP Provider, so I'm not sure of the options there.

Unfortunately, your provider may not let you modify the caller ID, in which case you'll have to get in contact with them to change it.

3. dariusvayne

Even if you can change your outbound caller ID I think it will be rendered useless when calling numbers that are toll free or are equipped with an unmasking software.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

First off you need to ensure that your VoIP provider accepts that you change the number, this can be changed as previously mentioned in two places, Either in the outbound called ID in the VoIP provider settings, or as per extensions as long as you do not have an outbound caller ID set in the VoIP provider settings.

First and foremost check if this is possible with your VoIP provider.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

We're using analog lines. I guess I need to call ATT.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

On analogue lines (and GSM Gateways), your provider controls what caller ID is sent out. If you did not purchase the toll free numbers from your provider, then it is doubtful that they will change your outgoing number for you.

7. AdgTech

Which ATT service offering are you using? I'm using their IP Flex (with a Patton) and they do allow you to modify the caller ID. However, it is not enabled by default and either needs to be enabled during the Test and Turn-up(go live time) or via a service request. It will take them about 5 business days to make the change. I don't know why, that's just my experience with it.

8. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

We've had our toll free number for over 18 years so I don't remember who we bought it from, names and companies have changed many times since then.

I called ATT, the person I spoke to said I could not change the outbound number to use my 800 number instead or display only the name and no number. She suggested blocking caller id instead... :roll: Maybe she was having a bad day and just didn't care? I mean come on people do this right? How do those telemarking jerks call you and the CID says 000 000 0000

So, again we have 5 analog lines, connected to a sangoma card.
    We have a toll free number I want 1 out of 3 options
    1) Display company name and toll free no matter which line we dial out from (preferred)
    2) Display only company name

I'd rather customers call us toll free instead of the local number because if we ever move or something

9. mhanson

mhanson New Member

Honestly, if you want that control, you are going to need to either change your plan with ATT or use a new provider.

As it was mentioned earlier, if you want the company name to show, then no matter what this is going to be dependent on your carrier. 3CX - and all other IP PBXs- can only alter outgoing caller numbers. Caller NAME service is handled via carriers. So you edit and deliver a number, and they match a name to it.

Now some carriers only allow you to display a number that is assigned to your account. For instance, many T1 Providers will block all calls being pushed out with a caller ID that is not assigned to that channel/PRI.

In the end, I can tell you exactly what to change on your 3CX, but first you need to work out the carrier side. ATT "SHOULD" be able to accept custom caller ID numbers, but I cannot speak to your service/area. This is most certainly possible with most providers though, so I would call back and request that she send you up to a more experienced rep.

10. ZenMasta

ZenMasta New Member

Matthew,
    I just called again and talked to a different person. She mostly gave me the same answer as the previous person, and then I replied saying I've been advised that people do this with their pbx software all the time so how can I do it. And I asked if ATT will support my pbx software sending a custom id and there is no restriction on your end that would prevent me from doing this? She said if the pbx software can do it it should be supported and there is no restriction on our account that should block that.

11. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

ATT lines are handled by sangoma card.
    PBX provides information to sangoma card.
    sangoma card delivers it to the ATT line.
    ATT says that there are no restrictions.

Conclusion:
    As far as PBX can deliver information to sangoma card and ATT can receive it and allows to spoof Caller ID, you need to ask sangoma how to configure card (software)

"middleman" can resolve all issues.

Thanks

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

But, they said they were using analogue lines, only your provider can "set" the outbound caller ID on those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.