Outbound Caller Name - customization

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by slsupport, Nov 16, 2015.

Outbound Caller Name - customization 5 5 2votes
5/5, 2 votes

1. slsupport

Hello,

Today I have the option to tell my gateway (SIP, PRI, etc) to use a particular field (name, first name, etc) as the outbound caller display (Extension first and last name) and the number (outbound caller ID). OR I can choose a custom value for either of those fields at the gateway level.

We have seen many scenarios where the user says I dont want my name to be sent out as the outbound caller name, instead maybe want the company name. And then you have another set of users who now want their names to be sent out as the outbound caller name.

This scenario today cannot be achieved really.. unless I change one group of users names in the PBX to the other name.

Or we end of creating another gateway registration as maybe 90002 (for Patton PRI). and then put the second set of rules for that gateway's outbound parameters.. and use a different set of outbound rules for those users.. and put those users in a group, etc.

We should really have the ability to override these rules on a per extension level from the outbound rules, or we should just have another field available under the other tab of the extension as either called custom (so we can use it for anything) or called Outbound Caller Name. And that field should have a unique global parameter so it can be used globally in the system.. OR under the outbound parameters of the gateway. Just like "OutboundCallerID".

Thanks

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Outbound caller id has a similar but different issue.

I have a ton of DID's - but can not use them for outgoing calls because of 911.
    I do not want to pay for 50 911 registrations. I want 1 911 Emergency registration coming form the main number.
    So, for example, the outbound rule, to 911, would use our main number for Caller ID - always!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Outbound Caller-ID NAME setting PER EXTENSION (like we can do with outbound callerid number)

Many people share offices with other companies, or they have different brands / company names.
    People in these situations usually have a sip trunk that lets them control the caller-id name and number when they call out.
    We can set the outbound callerID NUMBER in the other tab in each persons extension settings. That's great, however we can't change the name ! We can only set the name in the Sip Trunk outbound parameters section which will affect ALL calls using this sip trunk. We can make it take the extension name, but that name is usually used for internal calls.

So, basically, what I'm asking is a field for "Outbound Caller ID NAME" that would work with the existing "Outbound Caller ID" option in the extension settings. Right now we have 8 sip trunk registrations to get around this missing feature. :(

Thanks for everything 3CX, we love you !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Outbound Caller-ID NAME setting PER EXTENSION (like we can do with outbound callerid number)

Vote + 1

5. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Re: Outbound Caller-ID NAME setting PER EXTENSION (like we can do with outbound callerid number)

IMHO, If you share an office with someone else, you should still have your own SIP Trunk. Makes it easier to figure out who spent what. Then you set your own caller ID Name.

6. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Many companies under the same umbrella go under a number of brand names / business identities. If the bill is being paid by the same fund, it's most cost effective and easier to manage to have it all under 1 sip account (and in reality we do get separate bills). Based on the response I've been getting on this I get the feeling maybe it's a unique thing in Canada to be able to control both the name and number we send out.

7. brellnet

I don't believe this is isolated to Canada. There are many businesses that could benefit from this. I previously worked with a large group of companies that were vertically integrated and used many different business names, we reflected this in our emails.

As for calling, I have a few suggestions:

Set a phone up with multiple accounts and have each one be for different businesses. Setup a different SIP trunk for each business unit that needs to make calls, might be useful for them to have a unique phone number for each business unit. Then, setup each account to route through the appropriate trunk.

Another idea would be that if the suggested feature is implemented, you could have multiple accounts per phone and have the callerid read from each account to use a single SIP trunk for outgoing calls.

8. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Yes that's what we're doing now. We have almost a dozen sip trunk registrations because of this, it costs more per month and shouldn't be necessary. :(

9. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

Wow, well Brellnet and I found a workaround.
    We changed the calling party display name to show "CallerDispName" (display name of caller provided by phone settings), then in the yealink phone we changed the displayname to be what we want for the outbound caller-ID name.

Now outbound shows the correct business name and I can change it for each extension.
    Internal calls and call by name use the name that's setup in the 3cx extensions.

This works !

10. telin

That looks like a time consuming solution, if a lot of endpoints have to be setup.

11. giwm

giwm New Member

+1

We have a subsidiary that only has like... 5 phones. But there's no way to have their caller ID be their company name and ours remain our company name.

12. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

use my workaround 2 answers up

13. Patrick Hogan10

Thanks JasonNadeau! It works well for us.