Outbound calling - 400 invalid contact

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by A.burton, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.burton

Hello

This is my second post. Please can someone help me.

I have engin as my voip provider it is a 4 trunk line. I receive clear inbound calls but outbound no dice. My outbound rule to select voip service works but is terminated for an unknown reason. I have played around with outbound paremeters with no luck and I am really stabbing in the dark with these. I enclose a copy of my activity log below.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Do you intend to strip off the 1 before sending to your provider?

What format does your provider want? Most want some sort of prefix/area code. You may want to confirm that you are sending the correct digits.

3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

The problem is related to the number format you dial (I don't have an idea how you dial in Australia), I mean area code prefix, area code, number, etc., the format of your caller-id (must match provider expectations), and an outbound rule for the provider (if you dial '9' for outgoing line, you must strip the '9' before sending the rest of the dialed digits).

Can you share these requirements and your settings, probably it is something simple.
    Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. A.burton

Hi

Thanks for your response.

In Australia the number format is country code+ area code + number. so 61 + 07 + 5431XXXX. However dialing within an area only the number is required but if country and area code are added call should still work. I attempted all possibilities including removal of prefix rule to dial out and adding string length outbound rule. However all combinations result in "400 invalid contact".

Anything else? Anyone?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you haven't done so yet, you should probably contact your provider to be sure what format they want, they may even be able to tell you why you are getting he 400 message. VoIP providers don't usually treat customers as if they are in an "area". You could actually be calling from anywhere in the country, or, the world.

Some searches for other posts involving that provider would seem to indicate that you need to send zero as the first digit.

6. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

OK,

you obviously always dial in Australia, even in your area code numbers like 075431xxxx, correct ?
    Can you dial only 5431xxxx ?
    How you dial international number, i.e. UK ones -- 0044207xxxx. (London number)?

What is this number: 153133628 or this: 53133628 from your log, is this a local number, what is the meaning of digit '1', if so? Also if I call internationally your number (from abroad), should I dial the digit '0' in front of your are code, i.e. should I dial +61075431xxxx or +6175431xxxx ? How you dial from mobile phones.

Usually VoIP providers will request when making outgoing calls your number to be presented like 6175431xxxx (if the '0' in front of area code is not obligatory, like in Italy. This is called E.164 number format. You should put this number either in Caller-ID for provider or in extension settings. The other most frequent option is VoIP provider to request your number to be presented like 075431xxxx, i.e. like national number, or in some cases just 75431xxxx, but not 5431xxxx.

Answering these questions may solve your issue.

Just for reference:
    In most countries in Europe the international prefix is '00' (in North America: '011').
    The area prefix in Europe is usually '0' (in NA: '1')

If you are allowed to dial local number without areacode, you just dial: xxxxxxxx (various length), in NA local number is always 7 digits long. If you dial local area code (even you are in the same area), you dial <area prefix> <area code> <local number>, i.e. '0 22 23456789'.
    In some countries like Spain, Czech Republic, Denmark where you obliged to dial area code, you omit the area prefix (i.e. '0') and dial <area code> <local number>, tending to be just <national number>, i.e. '22 23456789'. In North America you either dial <area code> <local number> or <area prefix> <area code> <local number> which is either 10 digits or 11 digits in length (area code is always 3 digits, local number is always 7 digits).

International dialing looks like <international prefix> <country code> <area code> <local number>. In very rare cases you must include the area prefix in front of the area code, may be Italy is such example (in the past '0' was area prefix, now the '0' is part of area codes for land-line numbers, while mobile numbers start with digit '3'. However this Italian solution is misleading. If dial Padova from abroad you must dial +39 049 xxxxxxx, if you dial it from Italy, even from Padova you must always dial 049 xxxxxxx.

The '+' sign is always substituted with current international prefix, i.e. '00' in EU, '011' in NA, so you generally don't care when you travel and dial numbers from your mobile in the format '+' <country code> <area code> <local number>. You may set this in your 3CX also (in E.164 settings) -- useful for dialing with '+' (from Outlook, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. A.burton

[Resolved]: Re: Outbound calling - 400 invalid contact

Wow. Great responses.

Thanks - I do really appreciate it.

I solved the problem by means of re installation. I did this because, I seem to have frequent troubles with IIS / voicemail and the issue of 400 invalid contact. When I think back (and looking at my documentation), I had a change of network format from 192.168.0.xxx to 192.168.1.xxx after original install due to new network switch. Whether this had something to do with it I will never know! The voip service registers okay and calls go through on the service log - albeit with another problem but I will tackle that one a bit before posting here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.