• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Outbound calling rules with plus sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorans

Reaction score
My VIOIP provider requires me to send phone numbers in the following format (e164):
[email protected] (IP and phone numbers are examples here but it is sip:e164@IP to be more generic)

Question 1. It seems like 3CX VOIP client is currently not allowing anything but digits to be dialed. (@ or : signs get stripped out). It seems from one of the posts that is something they are working on. If someone knows for sure, please let me know if I got that correctly.

Question 2. If I use x-lite and I dial sip:[email protected] call will go through no problem. I would like be able to allow my users to just be able to dial 9 (for outside line) and then 8585551212 and have the call go through. To that end I have specified in my outbound rules that all calls begining with 9 will go to this provider. I also specified that 1st digit should be stripped. That all works great but what I realy need to be able to do is then also prepend +1. Unfortunately, + sign is not allowed. I'll survive but I would rather not have to tell my users to dial 9+1 first. That seems lame. Not to mention then I really cannot use 3CX client because + is not allowed. Any insight here would be great.

Thank you very much.
Goran.

Hi Goran, prepend 001 in the outbound rule..

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for your reply but all that does is send 0018585551212@IP. I guess you were thinking that 00 would get converted into + but it does not. Now there might be some other setting somewhere but just prepending 001 to the outbound rule does not give me a +1 on the wire. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thank you.
Goran.

Goran,

Where are you located and who is the SIP provider?

San Diego, CA, USA and provider is bandwidth.com

I was hoping your answer was UK. Don't know too much about US SIP providers but have you tried a different provider, just a free acount would do for testing to see if this is a provider issue. Even better if you can test it with one of the approved providers.

Hi Goran, I'm obviously mistaken, in that + is 00 everywhere else, its actually + that gets converted to 00. Are you saying your provider doesnt accept 00 as well as + for international access?

Phil

That is correct. My provider requires me to send a "+" not 00. Now; you are right on some other providers that I tried, I can send 00 and that works fine so that oubound rule will do the job, but I don't have a choice (for production) with whom I contract for trunking. Here are my two choices now:
1. Require my users to dial all their number with a plus sign. It works, and most SIP clients can nowdays take any ASCII char but it is just very cumbersome.
2. Put a little IP level proxy that will take INVITE requires going OUT and prepend + to them. But I think that is crazy, to add another layer to worry about and debug on the network. Not to mention another layer to slow down the packets.

If I could only enter + in that prepend text box. Is that UI limitation of their admin site, is there a way to get around that somewhere in some file directly or something?

Keep in mind, there is really no technical or product problem here. 3CX software works great, I really like it. My SIP calls are clear, my provider delivers them properly, inbound calls ring. All is well in the land. It is just that little text box on outbound rule config page that will not let me enter a + sign to make the life of my users easier.

Thanks.

Hi Goran. I'm surprised that the provider imposes that restriction bearing in mind its probably quite easy to implement. However, if thats their policy there is not a lot that can be done.

Yes re + in the prepend, definitly required.

Fingers crossed that 3cx will come up with he goods.

Regards

Phil

Should I try to contact them or open a trouble ticket to see what their input is on this issue? I am not sure how 3CX handles support, I just started using it. What's your advice?

It looks like I am stuck with this until they do an update but it would not hurt to check, I suppose.

I hink they are aware..

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.