Outbound calling Skype User on Skype SIP Trunk

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by scottstcyr, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottstcyr

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere, but I could not find it anywhere. I have recently moved to 3CX (love it!). I have a Skype SIP trunk (among other providers) and am able to send outbound calls to Skype as well as received calls from Skype.

What I can't figure out how to do is call a Skype User through the system. I have set up the outbound rule and the call is routed to Skype, but I get the following error (calling my Skype user account, scott.stcyr):

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Hi, do you have a Skype number? if so can you add it to 3cx as a DID number and test again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It appears the Skype is trying to tell you something.

You may need to speak (or email) them to find out what is unacceptable (incomplete), to them, in your "number". Have you tried calls to other Skype/Landline uses, ones that are all numeric?

4. scottstcyr

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a Skype number, so I haven't tried setting it. I may do so if I can't figure this item out.

I am able to make calls to non-skype number through the SIP trunk. That works fine, so it would seem that my authentication is ok. As you suggest, it seems like I am missing something. I just don't know what.

=== UPDATE ====

I eventually found the answer. The answer is that it isn't supported per http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=495061. This is strange since 3CX provides a sample configuration of Skype calling that matches based on text ... which would appear to not have ever worked. Unless I am missing something.

Thanks for the help anyway.

5. davidbenwell

Try calling from my phone, also make sure you have sp2 installed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. scottstcyr

I was calling from MyPhone, SP2 (installed 2 days ago). The call was processed fine and sent to Skype. I originally thought I was sending the wrong info or format, but now believe that isn't supported with Skype Connect (their SIP service). I suspect it was supported using the previous 3rd party app, since that interfaced with the regular Skype ... just not their SIP service.

Thanks for al the suggestions and help.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This link confirms what you already suspect

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=551241

It sounds, at the end, optimistic, that it may work some day.

They probably don't want users of Skype SIP trunks, placing "free" calls to Skype users. That would just encourage Skype users to migrate to SIP ATA's , if allowed, and leave their computers turned off.

8. davidbenwell

then why does a feature of SP2 say the following

New: Dial Skype numbers from 3CX MyPhone by adding “skype:” followed by the Skype ID you want to call

9. complex1

complex1 Active Member

Hi,

As far as I know Skype Connect only works with phone numbers according the E.164 standard.
    I you want to call a Skype User through the system you have to install the (unsupported) Skype Gateway and make call by this gateway.

If you setup an outbound rule and the Skype Gateway and you dial from MyPhone Skype’s echo test by calling “echo123” the you get an error from 3CX. When you call “skype:echo123” from MyPhone the test call will be made with skype.

10. nbailey

nbailey Member

Hello,

From the Skype connect web site:
    Thanks,
    Nate

11. geedee

Balls you cannot!

I have setup and tested this function perfectly.

I am now presently trying to relocated information.

Has any one out there have the direct "how to" link on Steve Corrigan's 3Cx on how to make outgoing rule with

a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z

for outbound skype calls.

This option worked very well!

Anybody?

12. nbailey

nbailey Member

Hello,

I think you are looking for this:
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/outbound-rules-a-complete-example/

Thanks,
    Nate

13. geedee

Cheers Nate!

14. scottstcyr

Good to hear.

Question: Are you using the straight SIP interface, or the external program interface using the Skype Extention Manager in Skype (which is not longer found in the latest version of Skype)?

We are using the straight SIP trunk from Skype Connect and have no problem with it without installing Skype at all, but if it supports dialing to Skype users we sure can't see how. The Article on setting up the routing plan was great; but the calls were rejected by Skype.

Is this working for anyone using a direct SIP trunk via Skype connect?
    TIA

15. nbailey

nbailey Member

Hello,

I think a lot of folks get confused with Skype and Skype connect. They are not the same thing but many think they are.
    If you want to use Skype with 3CX you need to use the unsupported Skype Gateway which works.

I assume you are talking about the Skype Gateway, now at home for personal use I have an older version of Skype so I don't know how compatible the new version is with the Skype Gateway.

Because they are not meant to interface with each other. Skype and Skype connect are two totally different services. In the Quote I posted from Skype they even say you cannot call Skype user names with Skype connect, you can IF that user has a real number to call.

So a quick overview.

1. If you want to use Skype you need the Skype Gateway as it doesn't work with Skype connect.

2. Skype Connect can dial Skype users "ONLY" if they have a number and not a Skype user name.

All of this information I got off Skype's website for reference if you want to double check my facts guys.

Thanks,

Nate

16. stash

stash New Member

Hi,

Does the feature skype connect calling skype user now possible?

Thanks,

STASH

17. Rushcore

Is this feature now working?
    If not, can you set up separate outbound trunks for skype users vs regular numbers? Can you even call non-skype numbers?
    Ron

18. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 3CX Skype gateway makes use of Skype running on the same PC as the 3CX PBX. Whoever your Skype account allows you to call if you were using a PC, can be called using the 3CX Skype gateway. So, if you pay to call "real" PSTN numbers, then you'll be able to reach those. The Gateway is no longer officially supported, and requires that you be running an older version of Skype. the gateway runs as one route/trunk, in/out of 3CX.

Skype Connect is a SIP service, limited to commercial use, as far as I'm aware, and will run as a completely separate trunk (route) out of 3CX. You would have to refer to the Skype site for information on any calling limitations placed on Skype Connect calls.

If you ran both services, then you would select which route your calls would follow, in the outbound rules.

19. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi

maybe if you have a look at this article it will help you out: http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/configure-3cx-with-skype-connect/

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.