Outbound calls choose number

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ip46, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ip46

Hello,

I have one sip trunk with 8 channels and 3 numbers (2311XXXXXX, 2312XXXXXX, 2313XXXXXX)

How can i choose which number can show to the calee when i make an outbound call?

I have enter in sip trunk configuration the second number into "main trunk No" but i when i make a call they can see my first number.

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You can create three extensions and each of them to use different caller-ID. You need to configure outbound parameters of the trunk for the purpose to show extension caller-ID.
    With some tricky programming you may use a loop trunk to select which extension caller-ID to be used, but this requires additional simultaneous call license during the call.

Other option is to create three trunks (if no registration is required or if the provider allow three different registrations from the same IP address with different caller-ID) and use different outbound rules to select which trunk to use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

And of course it depends if your provider will accept showing anything other than the main trunk number. Some providers will only show your main trunk number no matter what you send them. This is why we recommend you always use a supported provider that we test and provide a template with all settings pre-configured.

4. vizualpro

We're using @sip.bg second suggestion as our provider doesn't require registration. I've set it up so that if the area code matches one of the 7 main ones we call, it will use a number local to that customer.

Setting up different trunks for EVERY area code is not an option though, what I'd like to do is use Call Flow Designer to view the dialed number, and if it doesn't match prompt the user to select the territory they're calling and use the correct trunk. I haven't been able to completely figure out the programming for that though.

5. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

I'm afraid you can't choose outbound trunk with CFD.
    If you have created several trunks for each of your numbers, you can create now several outbound trunks using different trunks on the basis of the dialed destination.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. vizualpro

I see. Rather than choosing the trunk, would it be possible to just modify the outbound CID directly? The problem I'm seeing is that if the customer gives us a cellphone number from Maine, but they're in our Texas territory, we want to be able to display our Texas number. There's no way for me to input every US zip code manually because one Maine zip code may be for a Texas customer, and another Florida customer may also have a Maine area code...which is why I'm trying to get the prompt to come into play.

7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Probably you can make several outbound routes like dialing prefix *81 to use yje first trunk, omitting 3 digits (i.e. the prefix *81), then *82 for second trunk and so on. Thus you can dial *8110123456789 to dial 10123456789 via first trunk, showing the corresponding caller-ID, or dial *8210123456789 to dial the same number via the second trunk, showing corresponding caller-ID and so on. This should be the easiest way, if I have understood your intentions properly.
    Question: How you will know that number from Maine is in Texas, to show a Texas number ?

#7 sip.bg, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  8. vizualpro

I like that idea - could that be implemented with CFD to prefix the number with the correct dial code based on user selection?
    To answer your question, there is no way to know this, that is why it's my goal to detect out of territory area code and prompt user as to which territory they're intending to dial, because they will know which one they're calling to; has to be user selection that determines this somehow.

I've thought about setting up the dial codes for manual use, but I feel it's to much to ask people to remember *80 - *86 and to which they correlate to; people are naturally lazy and just won't use them. Therefore automated prompt will force a decision.

#8 vizualpro, Nov 24, 2017
  9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

I don't think you could achieve this functionality with CFD -- it was initially intended to handle inbound calls only, nevertheless the latest release added power dialer and predictive dialer, which are targeted for generating outbound calls. Probably you need to post your inquiry into CFD forum, somebody could give an idea how to implement such task.

If you don't want people to remember prefixes like *80 - *86, you may hardcode destinations into outbound rules like dialing a national 10-digit number starting with prefixes 200 - 999, distributed between seven outbound rules, you may use syntax like 200,204-209,212,215-229, ... to group area codes per rule. The codes not listed can be handled by last outbound rule, so this should not be a difficult task.

#9 sip.bg, Nov 24, 2017
  10. vizualpro

Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and posted in the CFD forum, the link is below in case anybody else in also interested in this concept.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...-prompt-use-specific-trunk.52366/#post-214446

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.