Outbound Rule

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by acworthed, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acworthed

I am having trouble creating an outbound rule. I need to strip the initial "*" from the dialed number. When I enter the * in the "Calls to numbers starting with (Prefix)" field, I get the error message: "The entered prefix is invalid. Please insert a valid one."

What am I doing wrong? Is there some way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

2. discovery1

discovery1 Member

Why do you need to use a *?
    Most outbound rules are based on a number prefix - eg. dial a 9 before the outside number.

The problem is most likely because 3CX uses * in a lot of it's functions - like dial codes (*0 to park a call etc.)
    The easiest solution would be to replace the * with a number and then strip it as you describe. This is the standard way of using outbound rules.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acworthed

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently running Asterisk and would much prefer to be running on Windows. Of course everything I currently have is already configured and working. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go back in and change every ATA and softphone for this.

If 3CX is using the "*", is there no way of escaping it (ex: "\*")? Various other products have dial plans that accept the "*". Some require you to escape it, but, 3CX (and Axon) don't seem to allow it at all.

If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thank you again.

4. discovery1

discovery1 Member

I have a few potential customers who also want to migrate from Trixbox/asterisk to 3CX and in all honesty there will be a little bit of pain in the beginning - mainly for the users as they get used to the different way of doing things.
    The initial work we have done with them shows that the features they gain far outweigh the 10-12 days of small headaches they have during the transition.

You would need to wait for someone else to comment but i don't see a way around the * issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acworthed

OK. Thanks for your help. It's not such a tremendous problem; It's just one more thing to do to convert over (and back again, if everything doesn't work the first time.) I'll get over it. I have a couple more things to test before I can commit to 3CX. I'll keep a watch here to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Thank you again for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.