Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Outbound Rules Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cbongard, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbongard

We have a SIP trunk with a BTN (of course) and 18 DID numbers. We will be assigning the DID numbers to most internal extensions. Our SIP trunk provider requests that all 911 calls be tagged with the BTN. As far as I can tell, if an extension has the Outbound Caller ID set on the "Other" tab, there is no way to override this, even if the extension is calling a specific number.

Am I wrong? Is there a method to re-write the Outbound Caller ID based on destination phone number (in this case 911)?

Thank you in advance

2. paul1

Here is a workaround to accomplish what you want. (I'm not necessarily recommending it... just saying it will accomplish the task.)

1. Create a dummy extension numbered 911. Give it a mobile number something like 9911. Set forwarding to send to the mobile number. Give this dummy 911 extension the outbound caller-id you want to call the 911 service with.
    2. Create an outbound rule that matches calls starting with 9911 and a length of 4 digits. Strip 1 digit and send the call to your VOIP provider.

My test shows that the call goes out with the Caller-ID specified in the dummy extension. (I'm using a Patton Gateway.) Your results may vary so give it a good test.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.