Outbound Rules

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by SWB, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWB

SWB New Member

Hello. New to the forum and 3CX. I have my VOIP phone system in place, and the next thing I wanted to configure was restricting outbound calls from a specific extension. I looked into the Outbound Rules configuration within 3CX Admin, and I don't believe this is where I can configure this. I was wondering first is this possible and second what would be the best approach to accomplishing this? What I want to be able to do is prevent a user calling from a specific extension to dial an outside number. In other words limit calls from the specific extension only to other extensions within the office.

Thank you for your help! :)

-Scott

2. Philco

Philco Member

Hi Scott.

If you think about it.. Create an outside rule which is specifically for the extension using the prefix you have for outsdide calls, in the outbound configuration simply add a prefix that will give an an error i.e. misdial

The rule for the extension should be placed above the other outbound rules for other extensions in the outbound rule table.

Phil.

3. Halea

Halea New Member

You can easily do that. Create an outbound call rule which doesn't show any call route. Make it apply to those extensions that you don't want to allow outbound calls. Make sure that there is no prefix interception, no stripping or appending. Put that rule all the way on top of your list.
    The extensions defined in that rule will only be able to dial internal extensions and will hear a busy signal if they attempt to call out.
    Hope this helps.
    Halea

4. SWB

SWB New Member

Thanks Phil and Halea for your responses. I was able to create a rule following your suggestions which prevents that extension from dialing an outside number. That extension is still able to dial other extensions around the office which is good. One more question I have is it possible to separate outside numbers this extension is allowed to dial? I need this extension to be able to dial 911 for emergencies, for example, and I can't really test this on a live line.

Thanks again!

-Scott

5. Halea

Halea New Member

You should be able to do that. Here comes my suggestion:
    Create an additional rule that you call "Call to 911". Make sure that it is positioned higher than the other rule you created last time.
    In this new rule, intercept the prefix 911 AND set the extension restrictions (the way you did last time), AND limit the number's length to 3 digits.
    Choose the output channel (VOIP or PSTN Gateway if you have one).
    Suppress 3 digits and Prepend 911. (Not necessary, but doesn't hurt - I like being on the safe side)
    I didn't get to try this. Please give a try. If it doesn't work, swap the position of this new rule with the one that you made last time.
    I am still not 100% clear on the hierarchy issue of the rules. So, some experimentation may be necessary.
    But I am confident that you should be able to do what you want. I know I have specific extensions on my system for which I have limited calling (local numbers).
    Halea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.