Outboutbound calls failing with SPA3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bhoppe2, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhoppe2

I am trying to use the free version for a small home PBX with two SPA3102's. One is connected to a PSTN line and the other is connected to Vonage's PAP2 modem. I cannot make outgoing calls. I can receive incoming calls on the PSTN line. I cannot make or receive calls on the Vonage line through the PBX. When I try to make an outgoing call on either line after about 15 sec I get a message that says I am using an incorrect carrier authorization code. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would suspect that you are probably not sending out the correct digits. You may have not stripped off enough , or too many in your outbound rules. What does the 3Cx log of a failed call look like?

3. bhoppe2

I have played with the digits to make an outside call and to strip, to no avail. I still cannot make outgoing calls on my Broadstripe POTS line, although incoming is OK. I can now receive calls on both external lines and I can now make external calls on the Vonage line, both inbound and outbound. The log from a recent call is included. The sequence is as follows:
    1. call to Vonage line
    2. routed to Digital receptioinist
    3. select to route to an external number (a mobile phone) connecting thru my POTS line.
    4. after a 30+sec delay I hear the message about incorrect carrier access code.

When I switched to calling in on the POTS line and calling out to the mobile phone with the Vonage line, it works. Everything appears to be set the same on the two SPA3102's except for the IP addresses and port numbers. I still cannot make an outgoing call on the POTS line. I still get the error message saying I cannot reach the number dialed with the "carrier access code" being used.

Attached Files:

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

OK, first off you didn't say that you were having issues forwarding an incoming call on one trunk and then back out on another. Before trying something like that I would concentrate on getting calls from an extension working when dialing out on the trunk. Do you normally dial 10 digit 517XXXXXXX numbers without a 1 in front in your area because that is what is being sent out. Everything looks like the call goes through properly and you are being connected to the outbound trunk. If you are getting a recording saying that you are not dialing correctly, which is what it sounds like, then you are not sending the correct digits and need to adjust the outbound rule accordingly.

5. bhoppe2

Ultimately, I will be using the digital receptionist, but that is not the problem. I did not mean to confuse or complicate the issue. I cannot call out on the POTS line, which actually is a VOIP line provided by my cable company. I am using the analog signal out from the modem as line-in to the SPA3102. I have tried calling out with just the 7 digit number, 1+ area code + 7 digits, and area code + 7 digits. I also tried calling my Vonage line, which is long distance. Nothing works as shown on the attached file. I can call out from my Vonage line in to my POTS line through the PBX.

Attached Files:

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you plug a phone into the ATA (analog telephone adapter, it's not a modem) from your cable company, you have no problem calling out? If you log into the 3102 and look a the first tab in the voice section, it will show the last number dialed out. If that is what you are sending from 3Cx and that number works when dialing from a telephone plugged into the same jack on the ATA...then perhaps digits are being dropped, or there is a level problem, or they are being sent too early and part of the number is being cut off. All of those would require that you monitor the line with a butt-in while a call is being placed from 3Cx to hear what is actually being sent to the cable company ATA.

Out of curiosity, what line voltage does the 3102 show (on an idle line) coming from the ATA? When it is below (like 24 volts) it can cause the 3102 to think the line is engaged unless the settings are changed.

7. bhoppe2

I followed your recommendation and found my problem. I had incorrectly set the VOIP Caller Default DP to "8" which caused it to try to call 10002 on the outside line. Once I reset it to "1", it works fine. FYI - I checked the line voltage of the ATA connected to the SPA3102 and it is 48V. Thank you for your help.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Glad you got it working. Unfortunately the 3102 has far too many feature for most people, and consequently has too many places to put in an incorrect setting, which can get very frustrating. I find them to be a great unit and allow extremely flexible setups if you do need them. However, instead of pulling out all of your hair, or taking your frustration out on your family it is sometimes just best to go back to square one and start all over.

9. bhoppe2

Again, thanks for the help. now, I want to set up the next part of my system. I want to call into the PBX on the PTSN line from my cell phone, connect to the Vonage line, then dial out on the Vonage line from my cell phone. I am setting this up at my residence in Thailand. This system will enable me to make "free" calls to the USA from my Thailand cell phone through Vonage. I was previously doing this by using a Dialmate 2000 from Woodtel until it failed recently. The Dialmate was set to recognize my cell phone caller ID to automatically access the Vonage line. Any suggestions? I have searched the forum, but did not find a solution. I suppose I can start another thread.

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately (I wish there were), there is no DISA (Direct Inward System Access) function as such on the 3CX...ie. dial a number, get dialtone, input access PIN (or screen by caller ID), get dialtone, dial outbound call. What you can do is make use of the Digital Receptionist to access your voice mail, once you are in to the point of retrieving your messages, you can use the menu (read the manual) in the VM system to make an outside call.

The SPA3102 will do the same thing as what you are trying to do IF the FXO port (PSTN Line) is registered with a VoIP provider in your country, and you call that number from your mobile. It can then screen by caller ID or PIN number and give you dialtone (the analog cord to your Vonage box). If you put two back to back you could get it to work from a local PSTN line back out to a line. FXO port---IP---FXO port, with a bit of trial and error. I haven't set one up that way myself but it should be possible using "call forwarding", the same way an incoming call to FXO on the 3102 is "forwarded" to a trunk number of the 3CX..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.