Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Outgoing call issue

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MikeyG.IT, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyG.IT

About once a day there is an outgoing call that doesn't seem to connect. There is nothing in the logs that I can find that say there is an issue. According to my client, they will dial out and nothing seems to happen

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

From the same set, to the same number, random numbers, same time of day? Is there any entry in the 3CX Activity Log that shows 3CX actually receiving the call then passing to an outgoing trunk? In other words, does the call even leave the set? If the call is shown as sent to your provider, then the issue would appear to be at their end.

What does "doesn't seem to connect" actually mean...silence, re-order tone, recording?

3. MikeyG.IT

When I say "doesn't seem to connect", from the description I was given, silence was my understanding. They are random numbers at random times of day.

4. MikeyG.IT

I was just given a report of another call "not going through"(as described by my client). I collected the number from the client and the time it was sent out. I am able to see in the call history that the call was placed and had a duration of 23 seconds. Upon looking through the logs I was unable to find any additional information for that call.

5. MikeyG.IT

This is not that call but in the event logs:
    Call to T:Line:10000>>15748623141@[Dev:sip:10000@192.168.1.101:5060] from L:169.1[Extn:104] failed, cause: Cause: 504 Server Time-out/INVITE from 192.168.1.101:5060

6. Marari

Marari New Member

Is it always the same extension that is having the issue?
    If so, try one (or both) of the following:
    • Reprovision the phone by going to the phones tab, clicking on the extension, and then selecting "Reprovision"
    • Resend the welcome email if it's client for windows/mac/iphone/android and double click the attachment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

...and the call "timed out" , as the log you posted shows, or it was passed on to a trunk? Do you use VoIP trunking, or a gateway of some sort?

8. MikeyG.IT

The deployment is using a patton 4114 gateway

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Could it be a problem with one of the PSTN lines plugged into the gateway? If one has not been programmed at the central office, yet is still connected to the line equipment, there will be 48 volts tip to ring. Unless the gateway is set to detect dialtone, the 48 volts will fool the gateway into assuming that all lines are connected and working. If you are "landing" on one of these non-working lines, the call will go nowhere.

You may want to consider checking each line for dialtone, by unplugging the line form the back of the gateway and plugging into a single line analogue set.

10. MikeyG.IT

It seems to be only one extension that is the problem. There were two calls today that had the same issue. Looking in the call history the calls had a duration of around 15 seconds. There are no other details or errors given from the event or activity log. I am wondering if a factory reset and re-provisioning may solve the issue

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it is just the one set, then yes, the reset and re-provision should correct any "corruption", or mis-configuration, unless, it again picks up whatever was causing the problem. In that case, you might have to delete, then re-create the extension in the PBX. If that doesn't fix it, you might consider trying re-provisioning a different set altogether, in the even it is a hardware issue.

The 3CX log should show what, if anything was sent to the PBX when the call was placed.

12. MikeyG.IT

There is nothing in the activity logs or event logs that match the time when the call was made, however, it shows a call being made in the call history correlating with the time the client says they tried to make an outgoing call.

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

He's making an outgoing call...on what? the iPhone, his office extension? What call history? Can you please explain the entire scenario...it sound as if it can be re-produced and is not random.

...Sorry, this answer actually pertains to another issue that someone else is having, but there is no option to delete the post.

#13 leejor, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  14. MikeyG.IT

The calls are being made from an internal extension. A yealink t27G ip phone. From the main screen of the 3cx admin dashboard under PBX status there is "call history", from there is where I can see that an outbound call was attempted with a duration of around 15 seconds. From the main screen of the admin dashboard there are 6 large blue boxes, two of which are activity logs and events. Within those logs there is no data for those outgoing calls being placed that I saw in the call history. Sorry for not being clear.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Then the set is never sending the call to 3CX. this may be an internal dialplan, or another option that is set incorrect. Are internal calls able to be made?

#15 leejor, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  16. MikeyG.IT

The numbers that are being dialed are not all mobile numbers. They are external numbers but not all mobile numbers, some of them are land lines as well. The calls that are being attempted do not ring, literally nothing happens. The number is dialed, the ip phone will say calling but after 10-15 seconds the phone saying "calling" the screen will go back to the home screen as if nothing happened. To be clear these problem calls are all attempted outgoing calls from an internal extension. This 3cx deployment has no remote extensions, no android or apple clients, and no windows client softphones. It is a small deployment with only 8 extensions which are all ip phones on the same LAN. They're also are no forwarding rules that point any calls to a mobile number. I apologize if this is confusing, I know that it has been for me.

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have my threads crossed, two different issues. In your case I would reset and re-provision the set. It does not seem to be sending the digits on to the PBX, if the call does not appear in the Activity log. Does this happen on internal calls as well, or only calls with certain digit lengths?

Since it only seem to be happening on one set, and I assume that the other (working ) sets are at the same location, then it would seem to be a set issue. That may be a physical (bad set) issue, or programming/software. If the set is located behind different network equipment than the other extensions (switch?), there may could be a bad piece of hardware. That could be tested by plugging in a different extension (where the "bad" one resides),and seeing if the same problem occurs.

18. MikeyG.IT

As soon as I hear back from the client I am going to factory reset the problem set and re=provision. I will let you the know the results. Thank you for your knowledge so far

19. MikeyG.IT

So after factory resetting the phone and re-provisioning it, the problem still persists but seems to be not as frequent. I was lucky enough to obtain a wireshark capture during one of these problem calls. I need to research on how to actually read the results

20. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Was the capture taken from the PBX? You could search via the IP of the set and see if there is an Invite message to the PBX. Then look for an Invite message from the PBX to the Patton. If everything is local you should be able to see all the traffic. Send me a p.m. if you are having issues with reading the capture so i can take a look.

Since the issue is with a specific extension you could try to narrow it down even further and see if the issue is with the extension or the phone. Do you have a spare phone to replace the current as a test? Or have the user use a 3CX client for a duration as a test. See if you are still facing the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.